Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Random question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Random question

So I just got a wild hair up my butt. With say a budget of $500ish, would it be possible to have my Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 shoot accurately at 500 yards.

Is that even possible or am I just crazy?

Obviously, I know I'll need a new scope and rings, but is there anything else anyone can think of or would I just be better off buying a new rifle?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You have the rifle now? Or do you have to buy the rifle?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #3

I already got the rifle, that and a decent scope, but not really enough for shooting anything out past 200.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #4

You do anything to the stick yet? Anything at all?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You do anything to the stick yet? Anything at all?
Nope. I have a scope and some rings on it, that's about it. The scope was only about $150 too, so I'm assuming it'll need to be replaced.

I got it, then life happened and I never really had a chance to use it to much. I've probably put less than 60 rounds through it.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am not fermiluar with that rifle, but if it is a bolt action with a good barrel it should do well enough to hit a 5 inch circle, that would be 1 moa. If your talking about from the bench at measured yardages with the right targets a good 9 or 10X scope would let you do that. If you talking about in the field you will need to spend about that much on a good range finder. The only 3 shot group I ever fired at 600 yrds. with my .22-6mm was abt 2in. It was 1/2 moa low from what my drop chart said it should be, ( that would be 3 inches.) You may need to bed your action, adjust your trigger or what ever to get it set up to where it will do it. For the .22-6mm I shoot I gave $ 225 for a .30-06, rebarreled it $ 325, after market trigger $ 100, new stock $ 200. scope $ 1000. Rnage finder $499 ( Leica 1200, but still looking for something better.) Don`t jump in to it like that untill you find out if you reall like it that much. You can work into it with what you have now. Bedding an action and floating a berrel really isn`t that hard and you can do that yourself for $ 35 or $ 40. Adjust the trigger yourself, that not hard to do eather.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #7

Hey Uber - Read this:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/improving-accuracy-factory-rifle-19037/

Old 03-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #8

Alrighty JD.

So assuming I read that right and done the math good it'd probably cost about $500ish just for the trigger job and glass bedding/free float including parts and labor.

Oh right:

This will probably be mostly shooting on ranges, but there are a few out around where my family is that aren't measured so a range finder would come in handy.

Last edited by Ubergopher; 03-11-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #9

Nah. Trigger job should be between $35-$75 depending on the shop. A lot of trigger jobs can be done with the shop minimum ( IE - Less than an hour ), but if you couple it with another exercise, like the glass bed, you can get a break.

Glass Bed should be no more than $150-$200 ( tops! ) and the materials should be included. It's pretty damn easy to do yourself honestly, but don't tell anyone.

That gives you plenty to play with from your budget.

Lapping the locking lugs should take about an hour of shop time ( price per hour varies ), more or less, unless yours is jacked up. Then 1.5-2.0 would be extreme in my mind. ($75/hour = $150 range and that is being safe and cautious ).

Getting a good scope is a must have for serious shooting. You can't hit what you can't see. That goes for your scope base, your rings and your glass.

That gets more expensive. But with a $500 budget, and you already own the gun, there is a lot you can do to tighten up the accuracy without having to get crazy.

JD

Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #10

Sounds good. Any local gunsmiths you'd recommend that wouldn't rip off a newbie, and would possibly let him watch the work so he can learn?