Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > quick question plz help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default quick question plz help.

Hay everyone I was just wondering do firing pins really break because of dry firing? Also dose keeping mags loaded damage there spring?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Up for debate with some people. It's generally considered not a good idea by many people to dry fire anything. As with many situations, you should contact the manufacturer.

S&W says you can dry fire any of their revolvers except rimfires. The Ruger Mark III is supposed to be designed so that you can dry fire it, but I don't know.

Really the manufacturer is the best way to address this question, and sometimes (as in the case of S&W) it's available on the manufacturer's website.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Up for debate with some people. It's generally considered not a good idea by many people to dry fire anything. As with many situations, you should contact the manufacturer.
I personally DO NOT dry fire anything if i can help it...i just dont see where its a good thing. If i am going to do dry fire practice/drills i will oad the chamber with a spent cartridge.

As far as leaving mags. loaded i cant see where it can be a good thing to keepo springs compressed.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Keeping mags loaded will not usually damage the springs, it's the actual use that wears on the springs. If storing a mag long term loaded, leave one or two rounds out just to be safe. Most manuals will tell you if dry firing is going to hurt your gun, worst case, call the manufacturer, snap caps are good too.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's why I mentioned S&W. If you break it doing something approved by the company, they get to fix it.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Ruger's pretty much the same, which is why I own 3 of them

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootitout View Post
Hay everyone I was just wondering do firing pins really break because of dry firing? Also dose keeping mags loaded damage there spring?
I always use snap caps when dry firing. They are cheap insurance the way I see it but agree that best bet is to check with the gun manufacturer.

I read that keeping mags loaded will not hurt the springs...unless you stress it beyond its limit (i.e. compressed more than it should like putting an extra round). General consensus is to keep the mag loaded one less than full. Just for extra safety margin but as designed, mags should be fine even when fully loaded. It is the cycling (compression and decompression) that damages the spring.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Last edited by Poink88; 10-13-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5117 Times on 2663 Posts
Likes Given: 310

the only firing pins that can break from dry firing are the ones that are on old revolvers where the pin is attached to the hammer.

think about it like this: how much force is the firing pin subjected to when a round goes off as opposed to when its dry fired?? which do you think is exerting more force on the part??

springs only lose their strength through work. sitting compressed or uncompressed does nothing to accelerate wear. only the compression/decompression cycle itself wears springs. if you want to wear out a magazine spring keep unloading it and loading it to let the spring "rest"

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

What I do & I'm no smith or pro.
If it has an exposed hammer I dry fire it.
If it has an internal I don't dry fire & use caps.
I've never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
think about it like this: how much force is the firing pin subjected to when a round goes off as opposed to when its dry fired?? which do you think is exerting more force on the part??
From what I've read, it is the spring or retainer pins that can break...not the firing pin. The firing pin or striker should only move forward so much...without the ammo to stop it, it will go further causing the problem(s).

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)