Question Time. ??Harmonics??
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Question Time. ??Harmonics??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 483 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Question Time. ??Harmonics??

I have a question about Barrel Stabilization.
Seems on a Mini-14 the thing to add is a stabilizer bar to stabilize harmonics or what ever.
While on an AR the thing is a free float barrel, also with other rifles.

Why stabilize one and allow the others to float? Anyone understand what I am asking? I got myself lost.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Oh no I've gone crosseyed.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I have a question about Barrel Stabilization.
Seems on a Mini-14 the thing to add is a stabilizer bar to stabilize harmonics or what ever.
While on an AR the thing is a free float barrel, also with other rifles.

Why stabilize one and allow the others to float? Anyone understand what I am asking? I got myself lost.
Just a thought but could it be the fact that a Mini 14 is piston driven versus the AR's DI gas system.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 483 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Just a thought but could it be the fact that a Mini 14 is piston driven versus the AR's DI gas system.
What about Piston AR's? That is the reason for the question.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Isn't the mini-14 of different construction than most rifles? You could get an aftermarket stock, have it milled and glass bedded. That would float the barrel to a certain degree. I believe the thing with the mini's is that it is much cheaper to add the stabilizer than to have a ton of work done. The mini is an ok shooter without either, so why do so anyway? Just to have a 5/8 inch moa brought down to 1/2"? I'm not sure how much it will cost to make a mini into a tack driver, but I am confident it is much more than what it is worth. Just sayin. Wait for Bear, he can tell you tons more about this as I am just talking out of my bdh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I think it is that the piston system on teh mini makes the barrel flax more. I am unsure that is what makes the ak-47 lass accurate than the ar-15.

I am no mini expert. I am sure they will come along shortly.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #7

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
What about Piston AR's? That is the reason for the question.
That question is above my pay grade but I would suspect that a piston gas system would reduce the effectiveness of a free floated AR barrel to the extent that the piston itself adds vibration to the barrel. There is no way to isolate the piston from the barrel hence the stabilizer you would see on the Mini.

But don't listen to me I am only speculating...hopefully some of the other guys aren't too far into the egg nog yet to give a more rational answer...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am thinking what Shihan is referring to is the small weight that you can move back and forth to tailor the barrel harmonics for maximum accuracy. I have seen these weights on several rifles and have always found them to be snake oil. If you have the proper load worked up for your rifle, you should not have to worry about harmonics. That however is just my opinion.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Screw it, who cares? Still shoots bullets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #10

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
That question is above my pay grade
Wait, you guys get PAID for giving out advice? Where the hell was I? Out of almost 7,000 posts, I bet I gave good advice at least once.