A question on stock repair
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > A question on stock repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A question on stock repair

I am just curious if anyone here has used anything that is worth using when it comes to chips in stocks, the reason why I am asking is I am repairing an old Marlin 336 buttstock as well as the rest of the rifle and it has a chip out near the rear tang, normal wood putties won't work, I have plugged it now and I will shape it down ...but I must admit I am not "feeling it" on this repair..
do any of you have any tricks like maybe glassing material or any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddymack View Post
I am just curious if anyone here has used anything that is worth using when it comes to chips in stocks, the reason why I am asking is I am repairing an old Marlin 336 buttstock as well as the rest of the rifle and it has a chip out near the rear tang, normal wood putties won't work, I have plugged it now and I will shape it down ...but I must admit I am not "feeling it" on this repair..
do any of you have any tricks like maybe glassing material or any suggestions?
I've never repaired a stock, but have repaired wood items such as handles and furniture. Sometimes you need to cut away a portion and shape a wooden plug of similar material and grain. This is usually the only way to get the glue to find enough purchase to hold properly, especially for pieces on the outside of a curve.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
I've never repaired a stock, but have repaired wood items such as handles and furniture. Sometimes you need to cut away a portion and shape a wooden plug of similar material and grain. This is usually the only way to get the glue to find enough purchase to hold properly, especially for pieces on the outside of a curve.
I agree.

Many years ago I picked up an old Rem M11 at a gunshow for $75. It was missing a "sliver" of wood, about 3-4" long and 1/2" wide, from the wrist behind the tang.

A piece of walnut dowel shaped down on a disc sander, a little chisel work on the slot where the wood was missing, some epoxy, and a suitable application of sandpaper made for a very functional stock repair that looked pretty good.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1944

Replacement stocks, particularly synthetic, are

remarkably inexpensive,BTW.

Google the online catalogs like Midway, you may be surprised.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Are you going to paint the stock or is it going to be wood grain? If you are painting it go to an auto parts store and pick up some body filler (Bondo) The have "kitty Hair" filler that has fiberglass matting mixed in with it. I just did a Mosin Nagant stock that was hammerd, and it looks great and feels awesome.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I've done a few stock repairs.

Brownells Acraglas is meant for bedding, but is also a super strong adhesive, it comes in 2 parts, resin and hardener. You can also take a little bit of wood stain and mix it in with the Acraglas until the color comes close to the natural tone of the wood.

What I've always done for pieces that chipped off, first I would sand or chisel the area flat and smooth, then cut a block of wood as long as the flattened out area.

Take the block of wood and sand or plane it smooth and flat.

Depending on where and how big the chip is, sometimes I'll take a dremel and make slots in both pieces so that I can use tiny biscuits made of Popsicle sticks to help strengthen the joint. Mix up some glas and apply it to both pieces and in the biscuit slots.

Clamp it up until dry, then you can shape and blend the repair in and refinish.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #7

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

if it is a small chip I have mixed sanding dust from a similar piece of wood with clear epoxy(like Brownells Acraglas or any epoxy). It is hard to get the color to match. Also if it is small a wee little hole can be drilled in the wood to help keep the epoxy in place.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #8

..Thanks so much for the advice, so this is what I have done so far, it is an awkward fix that is one reason I though I would pull for some suggestions..

I would love to have just bought a plastic stock..he wouldn't have it, I would say more but this is the internet....

I went with the plug method, although it was a chunk missing it was an awkward chunk, so I did my best with what I have, I hand cut out the plug area because in this area a bit would have grabbed it and wreaked havoc with the sensitive cut area..
I tried a "high quality" filler and it did not work, if I would had the hint on the acraglass it would probably have saved me some grief.
So this is what I have, I used a hardwood plug, and drilled small holes and used bamboo to secure the fix with tight bond..
I then shaped if after it had a day to heal and this is what I have so far,...I will tell you what working on a milsurp is much easier to ...IMHO anyway..

And most of all thanks so much for the input I welcome every word,...it speaks volumes for this site!

dsc07559-1.jpg   dsc07560-1.jpg  

Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You can get a brand new stock for under $50 you know that right?

Original Replacement Stocks for Marlin Rifles

You are going to have to do a little finish work to get it to fit right but other than that and a little sanding it should look better than new.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You can get a brand new stock for under $50 you know that right?

Original Replacement Stocks for Marlin Rifles

You are going to have to do a little finish work to get it to fit right but other than that and a little sanding it should look better than new.
You know .... I knew about Boyds...but I never saw that add before, every add I looked at was much higher than that and that includes Midway and Brownells whom I have a dealers license discount..
I guess I was meant to get the practice lol

Thanks buddy!!