Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > question for shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default question for shooters

I've seen a lot of pics of targets posted on the site with beautiful groups of multiple shots through the same hole.
Most of these groups are just a few clicks away from being dead band bulls.
My question is why don't you guys take the time to make the adjustments to be dead nuts on bull?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think this is a good question. I have shot with many people who were after the tight groups, even if the group was not in the bullseye. They were happy to have the tight shot groups and didn't make any adjustments to their scopes. I go after the small groups also but I try to have my scope sighted in for the bullseye. Some shooters are trying different loads and they will hit in different places on the target. They will wait until they find the load they are looking for before adjusting their scopes. There is no need to adjust the scope for each individual load that is being tested. I have found the loads I like for all of my rifles so I have the scopes sighted for the bullseye.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

image-4292513104.jpg

I shot this group while developing loads for my wife's rifle. She'd been shooting 55 gr varmint bullets out of it, so the heavier 95 gr SST's hit lower. The windage was a little off, I adjusted it for the next group. I wanted to see how well the loads grouped, I can make adjustments after I decide what I'm going to use.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Makes sense. Great explanations. I know some guys that just want the tight group, aren't working out loads or making adjustments. Never understood that.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8591 Times on 3726 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

If I cut the center out of the target, then what do I aim for? Offset group by an inch left or right, still have my pristine X to hold on.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
If I cut the center out of the target, then what do I aim for? Offset group by an inch left or right, still have my pristine X to hold on.
Now here is a guy you dont wanna make bets with at the range. This is a benchrest trick. Anyone who knows to do this, will likely outshoot everyone else at the range while barely trying

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

I agree... C3 cheats!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20838 Times on 11848 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

during sessions of working up different loads, i am not nearly as concerned with exactly where it hits as so much of the size. after fine tuning a particular load, then i will make some adjustments to the scope. my POA is the same on every target when developing a load, so i can see the differences in the POI. different loads and bullet weights will alter the POI. then afterwards when i have found the optimum load for that rifle, then i might make some scope correections and then i mark these notes down in my load data book.some rifles i shoot might have several different loads depending on which weight of bullet being used. example: my 308 uses two different loads, one load for a 155gr bullet, and another load for a 168gr bullet. so i worked on making the most accurate loads for two different bullet weights. i note the difference in bullet drop and make a notation in the load data book. then if i decide to make a scope correction, i make the correction for the bullet weight i will use the most. then with the notes i made in my load data book i know what adjustment to make when using a different bullet weight.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Consistincy is the key to accurate fire. Adjusting the sights is the easy part, once you get all of your rounds to land next to each other all the time every time, then you worry about adjusting where they land.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator
I agree... C3 cheats!
I wasn't implying that he cheats. I was implying that he knows what he's doing and for anyone else to be warned if he ever starts making bets at the bench. Just a little hunch i have although I've never met nor talked to the guy.