Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Question on new budget rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/question-new-budget-rifle-70757/)

xxbrooksxx 08-20-2012 07:15 PM

Question on new budget rifle

I'm new to the forums so let me first say hi.

I'm looking to buy a new budget rifle this year and have narrowed it down to 2 different ones. My budget is about 350 I'm not opposed into buying a good used rifle I just haven't found any yet.

The savage-stevens 200
or the Rugar American Rifle

I want it to be in a .308 cal. any advice on which to get would be appreciated.

thanks,

BRAD313 08-20-2012 07:21 PM

Both are good guns I like my Ruger tho go to the store pick them up and see Wich one u like the feel of in your hands more.

huffmanite 08-20-2012 07:38 PM

While I Have only handled a a few Ruger Americans at stores selliing them, I do own a couple of Stevens 200s. My opinion, buy the Ruger. Another budget type rifle I do own a couple of and I'd also recommend over the Stevens or the Savage Axis would be a Marlin XL/XS rifle.

xxbrooksxx 08-20-2012 09:42 PM

I've had a few people tell to look at the Marlins but everyone says stay away from the Axis. However I know the Stevens 200 is a good gun every review I've read on the gun has been positive. I've heard that the Ruger's stock feels extremely plastic and flimsy. I intend to go this weekend and checkout the ruger.

Is it possible to change out the stock on the American? Have any 3rd party companies started making them?

Thanks guys

cottontop 08-20-2012 11:57 PM

I don't have any first hand info on the others, but I have a new Marlin 7X in .25-06 and right out of the box it is one of the most accurate rifles I have. It may just be the best bang for the buck out there right now. The .308 version should be great also.
cottontop

Axxe55 08-21-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 910224)
I don't have any first hand info on the others, but I have a new Marlin 7X in .25-06 and right out of the box it is one of the most accurate rifles I have. It may just be the best band for the buck out the right now. The .308 version should be great also.
cottontop

the 308 is very accurate! i have the XS7VH model in 308. has the 26" heavy varmint barrel. only downside to the rifle is the weight. makes a goodbench gun though, but not the 308 for walking alot and hunting. if this is what the OP wnats, then he needs the sporter barrel 308. i have three of the X7 rifles right now with plans for a few more!

xxbrooksxx 08-21-2012 01:48 PM

Is the Ruger's trigger system much like that of the "Accutrigger" on a savage? It looks like the same concept. Also is it possible to change out the stock on the American? Have any 3rd party companies started making them?

thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffmanite (Post 909998)
While I Have only handled a a few Ruger Americans at stores selliing them, I do own a couple of Stevens 200s. My opinion, buy the Ruger. Another budget type rifle I do own a couple of and I'd also recommend over the Stevens or the Savage Axis would be a Marlin XL/XS rifle.

kytowboater 08-21-2012 02:00 PM

I held the marlin, and savage, for me the savage felt the best. I'm a bigger guy though with long arms, I'm 6'2 about 230.

ineverFTF 08-21-2012 02:44 PM

I have personally never shot or even handled the stevens, but on principle i would suggest the ruger. I have handled the 308. Model and it feels great. One of the few synthetic stocks i like as much as a good wood stock. Never shot it, but i have shot alot of rugers (handguns only) and they were all flawless, beautiful, and accurate as all hell. Get the ruger and a good scope you have fun!

xxbrooksxx 08-21-2012 04:27 PM

I really like the ruger but the stock is the only thing that turns me off about it. Are there 3rd party stocks for it yet?