Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Question about REM. 700 SPS AAC-SD .308 Stock (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/question-about-rem-700-sps-aac-sd-308-stock-66082/)

p5200 06-08-2012 11:03 PM

Question about REM. 700 SPS AAC-SD .308 Stock

I've noticed when I set the barreled action back into the stock that I can squeeze with thumb and fore finger back and forth where each pillar is at and get a rocking motion? Should the action contact anything in between the two pillars besides maybe, the sides? but that shouldn't make it rock. I've already relieved some material at the tip of the forearm to stop the barrel from making contact while on bipod or rest. I plan to replace the trigger with a #510 Timney trigger and also a Bell & Carlson stock when funds allow. Thanks for all info! :)

elfmdl 06-09-2012 04:00 PM

I am planning on getting one exactly like yours and was wandering how heavy the trigger pull was

p5200 06-09-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfmdl (Post 830378)
I am planning on getting one exactly like yours and was wandering how heavy the trigger pull was

Mine was about 5.5lbs. Using the screw that goes through the trigger is more of a fine tune and didn't change mine much at all. I decided to look on the inside and the pull weight screw which is front of trigger, bottom screw was the only one of the three that wasn't glued tight. So I adjusted it easily then used the external screw to fine tune. The main thing to watch for is making sure the firing pin doesn't drop when working the safety on and off many many times fast and hard. Of course, you want to also check for bolt slam and bumping the butt of the rifle many times also. They may have just missed gluing that screw on mine but, the sear and pretravel screws are sure glued tight I left them alone. So far, I'm having a heck of a time of getting mine to group. I know they like the heavy bullets and so far working up a load using the Hornady 168grn. A-Max hasn't grouped worth a darn. Hope I didn't get a bad barrel. I'll keep looking for a sweet spot though. :)

EagleSix 06-10-2012 09:04 PM

The rocking motion is not normal and not wanted. That may be why your barrel was touching the stock. You have already worked on it, so I suppose you intend to keep it. May as well determine where the mid-receiver is grounding out and shave some off until you get the pillars solid.

I have a student who purchased a 700 with the same Hogue overmolded stock.....I'm not a fan. His also was not free floated.

I think maybe Remington, with the latest X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger, is trying to compete with the Savage Accu-Trigger. Neither the Accu-Trigger or the X-Mark Pro fulfill my needs and are mediocre at best in my opinion. Over the years I have adjusted more than few older Remington and Savage factory trigger with good success, although both are a pain to get the desired trigger pull weight, avoid the over-travel and keep the engagement within safety guidelines. That probably is why Timney and others have been so successful, they make a better product and have less liability risk.

As you point out the general rule for longer bullets like the 175 grain need more twist rate, so the 1 in 10 would appear to be better with the longer bullets, than the 1 in 12 of Remington barrels in the past. Not always, but that is the general rule.

I think your issues with the stock and trigger should make those A-Max 168 perform better, but if you can get better, or acceptable results out of the 175-178-180 grain range, you will probably have better results on those longer distance shots. Is your gun the 20" threaded barrel length? Are you chorongraphing loads as you proceed? What are the bullet speed results you are getting?