Question about buying guns in bulk
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Question about buying guns in bulk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about buying guns in bulk

I have some questions/concernes about buying rifles in bulk. first of all is it legal. i understand you could have a hard time in getting guns in bulk if you live near or around the border of mexico/canada. i just saw a website selling 10 M44's for $699.99 and i want to buy it but don't know if doing so may cause the government to keep a close eye on you or if its completly illegle unless you have a certain license or have to be a licensed dealer.

and if it is legal do you guys know of any websites that sell rifles in bulk
like,
ar's, ak's and other guns not just some old 20th century or late 19th century centerfire rifles? i am considering maybe when i get old and retire to maybe open up a gun stor or somthing i always thoughg this would be cool ever since i was a kid. any help appreciated thinks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #2

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Welcome to FTF, you should swing by the introductions and tell us a little about yourself, I have herd there are some areas that require FFL's to notify the ATF about bulk purchases but im not sure if your area is one of them, as far as buying bulk from a website, if you pay most website will be happy to sell you a few firearms just make sure you let your local FFL know before you buy that many and make sure they are cool with reciving that many at once for a single person and doing the paperwork to make sure you can recive a fire arm. No website can sell and ship a modernday firearm right to your house, they still have to ship them to a gun store and you still have to go into that store and have your background paperwork done. if you have any question about it go to a local gun store and ask them about ordering you the types of fire arms you want and they will be happy to answer and question you have.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #3

Default thinks

Thinks bro very helpfull

Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

federal rules say you can buy as many rifles/shotguns at a time as you want. handguns 2 or more in a 5 day period requires a special batfe form in addition to the regular ffl transfer form.

local regulation may be more strict.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #5

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
federal rules say you can buy as many rifles/shotguns at a time as you want. handguns 2 or more in a 5 day period requires a special batfe form in addition to the regular ffl transfer form
Do you know if that applys to all areas because i have bought 3 handguns in a 2 day span last year and i did no extra paperwork nor did the salesman, i also have a CCL so i wonder if that would affect it.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

I'm no FFL dealer and don't claim to know what all the Feds are wanting now, seems to change every other day!

I do know that here in Iowa I can buy ALL the long guns I want at one time without any permits. The dealer has to do the phone check thing if you don't have a permit to purchase handguns or a CCW permit. If you have either of those permits, they don't even do a phone check.

I can also buy ALL the handguns I want at one time if I have the state, handgun purchase permit, (which you need for ANY retail handgun purchase) or the higher state CCW permit.

If I buy more than one handgun in five days, my FFL dealer has to inform the Feds about it. I do this all the time, just did it last month, bought 3 new handguns in one day. I've bought 9 stripped AR-15 lowers, (the only ser# part) at a time before without any problems. Thats the same as buying 9 rifles at the same time.

Like JonM said, some states even have a "1 gun a month" policy. If you comply with your state laws, you should be GTG on the federal end of it.

I've never had the BATFE contact me about my purchases.

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 04-26-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelig erers

Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithee View Post
I have some questions/concernes about buying rifles in bulk. first of all is it legal. i understand you could have a hard time in getting guns in bulk if you live near or around the border of mexico/canada. i just saw a website selling 10 M44's for $699.99 and i want to buy it but don't know if doing so may cause the government to keep a close eye on you or if its completly illegle unless you have a certain license or have to be a licensed dealer.

and if it is legal do you guys know of any websites that sell rifles in bulk
like,
ar's, ak's and other guns not just some old 20th century or late 19th century centerfire rifles? i am considering maybe when i get old and retire to maybe open up a gun stor or somthing i always thoughg this would be cool ever since i was a kid. any help appreciated thinks
You can buy all the long guns you want as long as your state and local laws allow you to do so...

HOWEVER the second you start buying guns with the intent of reselling for a profit, now or in the future you need an FFL. Very gray area, I know, but the boys in black have NO sense of humor. Your best bet is to call the ATF directly and ask. They are not the bad guys many make them out to be. My dealings with them have been smooth, helpful and informative. They would MUCH rather you get it right the first time than have to knock your door down with a warrant a few years down the road.