Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > question about breaking in a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Howa also has a break-in page, and it's pretty good. Remington has a break-in procedure as well for the M24 sniper rifle that is pretty extensive (written for the DOD). I haven't checked any other manufactures.
I didn't know Howa had one. I know Winchester has one Krieger and Shilen does. The Shilen site is where I send most people to explain what is happening during the procedure.
Quote:
All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning.
I'll have to check the Howa and especially the Remington break-in procedures. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by The_Kid; 06-18-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Then they must have this break-in procedure page to ridicule?
I've been told by Savage that their rifles do not require break in. The break in procedure page is to make people feel warm and fuzzy in the event that they insist on following an unnecessary procedure.

If you wanna do it, do it. If not, then don't. Doesn't matter.