??question??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ??question??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default ??question??

Maybe some of you have experence with this. Today I purchased a bi-pod that pivots, to mount on my Ruger Hawkeye. The problem is after I mount it, probably will not have the opportunity to check and see if it changed my zero on the rifle. It mounts to the front sling mount. What do you think, will the rifle still be zeroed in? I mounted one years ago on the early style MarkII, but I am sure I put it on paper after mounting, but do not recall if I had any adjustments. I sure could leave it off for this season, but might come in handy in a new spot I have to deer hunt, but no stands up in that area. Please let me know what you have experienced in the past mounting bi-pods.
Thank You R-BOLT

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the barrel is barely free floating, and adding the bipod causes the forend to contact the barrel, it will make the rifle change point of impact. Chances it won't change point of impact but I'd recommend checking to be sure. If your barrel is free floated. If it's not free floated I'd suggest you do so in order to mantain same point of impact all the time even through temperature and humidity variations. NO walnut stock is completely free of moisture and is subject to warpage.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bear, My Hawkeye is the all weather model with the zytel or plastic stock. The barrel is not free floated on this factory set up. I'am sure I would have to change the stock out to float it. But, I am not punching holes in paper, killing game mostly under 200 yards, so nuts on is not a must. I am with you though, if I mount it probably should put it on paper. I guess i would back off this is someone else had a all weather hawkeye and mounted a bi-pod, and saw no change on paper. Any info appreciated, thanks all R-BOLT.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Best thing to do is shoot it. It didn't change my remmy one bit between a 9"-13" or a 13-27" hanging off the cheap plastic stock.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #5

I change bi-pods out on all of my rifles and the zero hasn't changed once, from 223 to 7mm remington mag. It should be fine, but you might want to check just to be sure.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the input. While putting it on paper would be great, time probably is a problem. I will leave the bi-pod off unless I hunt a area with out a stand.