Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Quality Control? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/quality-control-76407/)

krisko09 11-15-2012 12:57 AM

Quality Control?

Ruger .44 mag carbine
Grendel p30 .22
Charter arms bulldog 44 special
Marlin 44 lever ( described as "rough condition")

I have the opportunity to pick up any/all of these used firearms for a good price. Unfortunately, idk much about any of them. What do y'all think? What would u take/not take and what would u pay/not pay?

Garadex 11-15-2012 01:11 AM

If the Marlin and Ruger have been maintained they will be in good condition. I'm sorry I don't know much about the others.

krisko09 11-15-2012 01:38 AM

The ruger has been, but the marlin is supposed to be pretty rough. But im thinkin if i can get it cheap enough it could be a fun restoration?

JonM 11-15-2012 01:38 AM

the ruger 44 is the best of the lot if its a tube fed and in good working order with no missing or broken pieces. there are no available sources of spares for most parts. they run from 300-600 depending on condition.

krisko09 11-15-2012 03:03 PM

I believe it is a rotary mag.
I'm pretty confident i can get all 3 for 200. Should i go for it?

hardluk1 11-15-2012 04:32 PM

Even if the marlin is rouge if still mantained it will be a good close range hunter, Is the 44 a blued model with some age also. Ether wat if it says charter arms not charter or charter 2000 it will or should be a good shooter. Ruger also tended to be good close range hunters too. It not so much about the bumps and wear on a firearm if its maintaned it the abuse or neglect from use and then lack of care after that hard to deal with . The grendel p30 ??!! If the other 3 are 200 bucks, run to get them.

Old_Crow 11-15-2012 04:50 PM

I don't see why you needed to post. If all the guns work they will easily fetch $200 each, if they are fair condition. I would skip anything that is in poor condition. There is always something there that prevents you from restoring it.

oldpapps 11-15-2012 06:47 PM

"Charter arms bulldog 44 special"

Many, many years ago I was range officer for a PD. The 'Dicks' could carry their choice of weapons (not in uniform), BUT, they had to qualify with that weapon and provide the same ammunition for qualifications as they carried.

One of the Detectives bought a Charter Arms Bulldog 44. He was using RP 246gr round nose rounds.

To the range.... The course of fire was a stupid 'PPC' using 50 rounds. The Charter Arms was not able to finish the course!

However, I picked up an alloy frame job in .38 Special (the frame was purple) and it did very well for as long as I had it.

Check it twice and then look again before you buy. I only had direct contact with those two Charter Arms revolvers.

Can't help with the others.