Puzzle for you guys - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Puzzle for you guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 429 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 872

Any other tips for buying used? And okay then for the Tx heart shot

Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
If it is an 11 it is a short action in 7mm-08. Yes Savage did make a 7-08 in the model 11. You need to look at the rifle to get the correct info. There are timney and bold triggers for that rifle that are VG. 7-08 is an excellent hunting round.
^ Solid advice there....

7MM-08 shooting a 140grain pill is about near perfection. Low recoil, excellent trajectory, fantastic Savage accuracy. An excellent caliber to start out hunting with. My 16 year old Twins (daughters) shoot 7mm-08's built on Savage Actions.

I wouldn't be worried about buying a used rifle from a reputable dealer. plus for the most part if the rifle looks well maintained then it's more than likely in good operational condition.

I also like Timney for aftermarket triggers..

Become steel or get cut.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2844 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 251

7mm what? Remington Magnum? STW? X 57? Remington Express? Just trying to be clear (and insure you are clear) in the caliber.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Well still, take your time and get what you want, before you walk into a store and see something sitting there that you think is a good deal. You will not regret getting what you made plans for.

What type of animals do you intend to hunt with this rifle? What type of terrain are they located in in your area? Mountains, Plains, Deserts, Forests?

A 7mm is a good gun for a specific kind of shooting or area, but may not be what would be better suited in your area. There are always brand new guns on slickguns selling in the 400 dollar range. and that way you dont have to worry if the barrel has been shot out, or if the crown has been damaged.

Take your time reading about calibers, and asking questions, and answer others on what type of animal etc are you going to plan on hunting, and we are always glad to help you out. I don't like to point people to a specific gun that I happen to like, i would rather let you make that decision. I just want you to get the one you want and enjoy it.

if you want something has has a little kick to it, get a 338 Winchester mag, or even a 45/70- shooting 405 grains of hard cast lead. With that you can do Texas heart shots on about any animal on earth and get it into the vitals
Yep you CLANK!!!! you definitely CLANK!!!

Become steel or get cut.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #25

@Robocop to be honest, I can't tell you exactly what. All the guy said was 7mm, but from what the other guys said, it sounds like it's a 7mm-08 (I think that's a specific kind, not really sure)

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
@Robocop to be honest, I can't tell you exactly what. All the guy said was 7mm, but from what the other guys said, it sounds like it's a 7mm-08 (I think that's a specific kind, not really sure)
7mm is the caliber of the bullet used. lots of different cartridges use the 7mm caliber bullets, such as, 7mm-08, 7x57mm, 7mmSTW, 7mm Rem. Mag., ect., ect.,,,, and thear are not interchangeable. saying a rifle is a 7mm, only tells us that it has a bore of 7mm, but not what 7mm cartridge fits it. and there is huge difference in the recoil of say, a 7mm-08 and a 7mmSTW! the recoil on a 7mm-08 is pretty mild and gentle, but the recoil on a 7mmSTW can rattle your teeth!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #27

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Franklin skip that local gun store, he is trying to make too much profit off that gun. In my opinion it should not sell for more than $250.00 tops. I would offer him $225.00 for it tops.

Used guns are like used cars, you just don't know how bad they have been driven.

Cabela's has a NEW Savage Axis for $419.00 on sale with scope, that is the rifle I would buy without any worries about it.

Jim

Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #28
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a hunting rifle. I'm 18 and I don't have much money, so I was looking at used rifles at a gun shop by my house. They have what they're calling a Savage 11 in 7mm. It has a Bushnell 3-9x40mm scope on it. The problem is that I can't find any reviews on this rifle at all. It does NOT have a detachable box magazine or Accutrigger. It has a 22 inch barrel, tang safety, synthetic stock. From what I've found out online, this gun does not exist... Can anyone tell me what exactly they have, and whether or not it is a good deal? The price is $370. Also, I plan on hunting hogs and possibly deer. Would this caliber work for what I want? I was planning on getting a .308, but this seems like a heck of a deal. Thank you in advance guys,

Franklin
If it is a Model 11,it would be a short action receiver and couldn't be a 7mm Remington Magnum. It would be a Model 111,which is a long action.
Look at the receiver on the rifle. Is it round or flat on the top at the rear of the receiver. If it is flat,it's an older model rifle "Pre-Accu-trigger" made before 2002. The older models had adjustable triggers from the factory,and can be tuned really nice.
The newer models that don't have the Accu-trigger are not adjustable,and aren't the most wanted.Most people that buy one of these rifles swap the triggers out with an aftermarket adjustable unit.
Savage does sell the exact rifle you are describing presently,it's a 11 or 111 Hunter XP,it has a blind magazine and the standard trigger

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/full/H6ptlhS3B_o7oA5FzJQ.png

You can buy one brand new for around $400-450. Here's one on Gunbroker,but any local Dealer could get one for you.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=356497027

Just my opinion,A 7mm Magnum in this setup is going to stomp the crap out of you. The factory savage tupperware stock is really junk,and should be thrown in the trash as soon as you get home with it.
With a decent aftermarket stock,the rifle would be good to go,but not with the factory stock.
Believe me,I have a safe full of Savage rifles and none are wearing the factory tupperware stocks on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I woupd trust them on the gun. Ask if the trigger or anything has been replaced. If it has then ask if they did it. If they did not do it, dont buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Personally if you dont have a decent amount of experience i would avoid "custom" work on a used firearm. I say that because the first question that comes to mind is why is this used gun for sale, is it a lemon and the previous owner is dumping his problems on you? Without experience to make that judgement yourself I would put my faith in a slightly more expensive but stock new firearm.
Yunus,It's pretty hard to screw up putting a trigger in a Savage rifle. I really don't think a complete idiot could fail doing that with the most common triggers like Rifle Basix or a Timney.
The only one that takes a little patience is the SSS Competition trigger that I have in a couple of my rifle's,but they aren't the type of trigger you would put in any hunting rifle.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Franklin skip that local gun store, he is trying to make too much profit off that gun. In my opinion it should not sell for more than $250.00 tops. I would offer him $225.00 for it tops.

Used guns are like used cars, you just don't know how bad they have been driven.

Cabela's has a NEW Savage Axis for $419.00 on sale with scope, that is the rifle I would buy without any worries about it.

Jim
The Savage Axis is junk compared to the standard 10/110 action rifles. They shoot good,but are nowhere near the rifle that the regular Savage's are.

Most gun shops know what a bare Savage action cost,and since so many of us that shoot them,build our own rifles,most used Savages still bring a premium price for them. The OP could probably talk them down to $325,but not much less than that.
If I could find them for $250,I'd buy 5-10 of them just to sell the actions off of,and still make a good bit of spending money.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #30

@bigjim I'm not a fan of the Axis. I don't like 90 degree bolts at all, and it just doesn't seem quite as nice as the Ruger American.

@Txhillbilly so basically I shouldn't get this one? Guess I'm back to square one haha. Maybe I'll pick up a American from Dicks Sporting Goods for $370 chambered in .270 WIN, unless there are any good used rifles that I should keep my eyes open for.