Puzzle for you guys - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Puzzle for you guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 446 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 901

@Anna_Purna The problem is that I'm not sure what caliber I want haha. I've never hunted before, but I've shot a variety. I just like guns to be honest And my walmart doesn't carry guns I could use some advice from hunters on what they prefer.

@nchunt101 Do you know what exactly this rifle is? And I'm not recoil shy at all, I actually kind of prefer a higher recoil. Makes it more fun to me

Thank you guys for the advice, i'm still looking into this and other rifles.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1307 Posts
Likes Given: 695

The model 11 was around before the accutriger which is relatively new. Savage makes a good bolt action and has been known for accuracy. I have seen several light weight 7mm mags sold because of the recoil. Several cartridges have been rather hard to get lately. 7mm mag, 270 and 243 have been fairly easy to find. 270 has been the easiest and 308 has been scarce. Research the cartridge and see if it fits your wants and needs. If you like it see if you can do a bump test on the trigger to see if it has been set too light or see if the lgs will guarantee the the trigger to be safe. Talk to the owner, not the salesman.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #13

Liked 750 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
The price seems a tad high. I would try to get them down to $300. Also, that model Savage is a REALLY light rifle and I would suggest getting something with a tad less recoil than a 7mm Rem mag if you are recoil shy.

If it is an 11 it is a short action in 7mm-08. Yes Savage did make a 7-08 in the model 11. You need to look at the rifle to get the correct info. There are timney and bold triggers for that rifle that are VG. 7-08 is an excellent hunting round.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I do like the feel of it. It's very lightweight, and like I said recoil isn't a problem for me. I could spend all day running with that thing, and shouldering it feels really nice. What about the price though, assuming it passes the bump test. Is that a fair price for a "old" rifle? Is the scope any good? I think that the 3-9x40mm Bushnell Sportview is a lower end scope, but I don't want something too good. Thanks for all the answers so far guys.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
@Anna_Purna The problem is that I'm not sure what caliber I want haha. I've never hunted before, but I've shot a variety. I just like guns to be honest And my walmart doesn't carry guns I could use some advice from hunters on what they prefer.
Well still, take your time and get what you want, before you walk into a store and see something sitting there that you think is a good deal. You will not regret getting what you made plans for.

What type of animals do you intend to hunt with this rifle? What type of terrain are they located in in your area? Mountains, Plains, Deserts, Forests?

A 7mm is a good gun for a specific kind of shooting or area, but may not be what would be better suited in your area. There are always brand new guns on slickguns selling in the 400 dollar range. and that way you dont have to worry if the barrel has been shot out, or if the crown has been damaged.

Take your time reading about calibers, and asking questions, and answer others on what type of animal etc are you going to plan on hunting, and we are always glad to help you out. I don't like to point people to a specific gun that I happen to like, i would rather let you make that decision. I just want you to get the one you want and enjoy it.

if you want something has has a little kick to it, get a 338 Winchester mag, or even a 45/70- shooting 405 grains of hard cast lead. With that you can do Texas heart shots on about any animal on earth and get it into the vitals
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I live in Florida right now, so pretty flat terrain (alright, extremely flat) I plan on hunting a lot of hog and probably some deer once in awhile. I have my great granddads stevens 335 for birds already, so I just need a rifle that will cover the other side of hunting. I don't really want a BIG gun like a 338. What I really want is something that won't destroy smaller animals, but will still take out bigger ones. I'll be moving around in a few years and would like to keep this rifle with me. Another thing is that I am trying to get the best deal I can. A hundred dollars doesn't seem like much, but I'm starting college next month, and that's 2 tanks of gas haha. $370 sounds real sweet compared to the 550-600 i'd spend after glass on a Ruger American.

Last edited by Franklin1995; 07-26-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Can you find shells for the 7mm?
A 270 shoots the exact same bullets, and doesn't have the kick a 7mm does. And the bullets on the shelves are cheaper. The 270 is a great gun (as is the 7mm) for flat country. Does Florida even have deer?

Up here we call things that small gerbils!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #18

Liked 750 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Well still, take your time and get what you want, before you walk into a store and see something sitting there that you think is a good deal. You will not regret getting what you made plans for.

What type of animals do you intend to hunt with this rifle? What type of terrain are they located in in your area? Mountains, Plains, Deserts, Forests?

A 7mm is a good gun for a specific kind of shooting or area, but may not be what would be better suited in your area. There are always brand new guns on slickguns selling in the 400 dollar range. and that way you dont have to worry if the barrel has been shot out, or if the crown has been damaged.

Take your time reading about calibers, and asking questions, and answer others on what type of animal etc are you going to plan on hunting, and we are always glad to help you out. I don't like to point people to a specific gun that I happen to like, i would rather let you make that decision. I just want you to get the one you want and enjoy it.

if you want something has has a little kick to it, get a 338 Winchester mag, or even a 45/70- shooting 405 grains of hard cast lead. With that you can do Texas heart shots on about any animal on earth and get it into the vitals

I doubt he knows what a Tx heart shot is!
If you hit the 3 minute mark, it will be explained!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
I live in Florida right now, so pretty flat terrain (alright, extremely flat) I plan on hunting a lot of hog and probably some deer once in awhile. I have my great granddads stevens 335 for birds already, so I just need a rifle that will cover the other side of hunting. I don't really want a BIG gun like a 338. What I really want is something that won't destroy smaller animals, but will still take out bigger ones. I'll be moving around in a few years and would like to keep this rifle with me. Another thing is that I am trying to get the best deal I can. A hundred dollars doesn't seem like much, but I'm starting college next month, and that's 2 tanks of gas haha. $370 sounds real sweet compared to the 550-600 i'd spend after glass on a Ruger American.
You still need to really know everything about it before hand. I bought a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag for $275.00 is 1992. Is it worth more now, maybe.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The store I was at had plenty of 7mm on the shelf. 308 down is here is somewhat challenging to find from what the guy told me though. He said around here 7mm is common. And no I don't know what Tx heartshot is but i'll watch that video. And yea we do have some "deer" around here

Last edited by Franklin1995; 07-26-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sounds like the 7mm is up your alley then. make sure to check out the lans to make sure there isn't excessive wear, and the crown for any gouges or marks.

A texas heart shot is shooting an animal from the rear end and up into its vitals. From any angle to the heart, really. Texans just do some things odd!