Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Puzzle for you guys (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/puzzle-you-guys-94467/)

Franklin1995 07-26-2013 05:28 PM

Puzzle for you guys

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a hunting rifle. I'm 18 and I don't have much money, so I was looking at used rifles at a gun shop by my house. They have what they're calling a Savage 11 in 7mm. It has a Bushnell 3-9x40mm scope on it. The problem is that I can't find any reviews on this rifle at all. It does NOT have a detachable box magazine or Accutrigger. It has a 22 inch barrel, tang safety, synthetic stock. From what I've found out online, this gun does not exist... Can anyone tell me what exactly they have, and whether or not it is a good deal? The price is $370. Also, I plan on hunting hogs and possibly deer. Would this caliber work for what I want? I was planning on getting a .308, but this seems like a heck of a deal. Thank you in advance guys,

Franklin

Yunus 07-26-2013 05:37 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage-Model-mm/1382008.uts

Thats just from a quick google search for "savage 11 7mm".

Whats your budget? I think you can get a good rifle and scope under $500 new and my concern with suggesting you get the savage used is that you may not know what to look for in a used gun to determine its prior use/abuse. For that reason I suggest buying new, but I would also say that if you trust the gun shop and they say its a rifle in good working order then it might be a really good deal.

7mm is a good and tested caliber but personally I stick to the more common calibers like 308 because of the less expensive mil spec ammo available. Thats just my personal opinon and im not a hunter so take my suggestions on caliber lightly. Im sure a more experienced hunter will comment soon.

Franklin1995 07-26-2013 05:39 PM

Sorry, I meant to include that it does NOT have a accutrigger either. Which is why I can't find it anywhere haha. And I'm looking to spend around 400. And this gun shop is a really well known, well trusted place around here.

Franklin1995 07-26-2013 05:43 PM

I'm starting to think that it might actually be a custom trigger on it. It was a very light and crisp trigger pull. Still looking for more advice though.

Yunus 07-26-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin1995 (Post 1316134)
Sorry, I meant to include that it does NOT have a accutrigger either. Which is why I can't find it anywhere haha. And I'm looking to spend around 400. And this gun shop is a really well known, well trusted place around here.

I woupd trust them on the gun. Ask if the trigger or anything has been replaced. If it has then ask if they did it. If they did not do it, dont buy it.

Franklin1995 07-26-2013 05:45 PM

They honestly didn't know too much about the gun itself. I might have just talked to the wrong salesman though. So if it is a custom trigger, I should stay away?

Franklin1995 07-26-2013 05:47 PM

They run safety and quality checks on all of their used rifles before they put them on the shelf.

Yunus 07-26-2013 07:41 PM

Personally if you dont have a decent amount of experience i would avoid "custom" work on a used firearm. I say that because the first question that comes to mind is why is this used gun for sale, is it a lemon and the previous owner is dumping his problems on you? Without experience to make that judgement yourself I would put my faith in a slightly more expensive but stock new firearm.

Anna_Purna 07-26-2013 07:55 PM

I would get the caliber YOU want, or you will always never be satisfied. Patience yung grasshoppa. Any walmart has good rifles for under 400 dollars all year long.

nchunt101 07-26-2013 08:07 PM

The price seems a tad high. I would try to get them down to $300. Also, that model Savage is a REALLY light rifle and I would suggest getting something with a tad less recoil than a 7mm Rem mag if you are recoil shy.