Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Push feed vs. Controlled Feed. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/push-feed-vs-controlled-feed-35542/)

cpttango30 12-13-2010 06:25 PM

Push feed vs. Controlled Feed.

Lets not make this a Remington vs the World thread. Savage rifles are push feeds as well. I have 3 controlled feed (CF) and one Remington 700 push feed rifles.

My CF rifles are two Remington one Model 30 Express on 1917 Enfield.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each system Leaving Remington's week extractor out of it.

masterPsmith 12-13-2010 11:02 PM

They both work equally as well when the rifle is level or nearly level. Slow cycle a push feed with rifle at a bad angle and you will be picking your round out of the dirt. Won't happen with controlled feed. But that's the extreem anyway. Nothing to worry about on the range or usually out hunting. I do prefer controlled feed though.

Jim.............

cpttango30 12-14-2010 03:09 AM

That was the biggest problem I was thinking about MPS. What if you had to be in a prone position shooting under a log or something low to the ground like that. Might be a problem for push feed.

I was thinking of upgrading my 700 to a sako style extractor but still doesn't change the push feed.

I like the fact that the cartridge is more lined up with the bore on the CF guns.

jpattersonnh 12-14-2010 10:40 AM

Controled feed issues: You have to load from the mag. You can't just drop a cartridge in and lock the bolt, it is a more deliberate action.

Funny as 99% of my rifles are control feed!

cpttango30 12-14-2010 10:51 AM

That explains why dad always told me to put one round in and pop it into the mag that load it. OK as most of the target rifles are 03a3 or K98 in design.

spittinfire 12-14-2010 10:59 AM

Hey tango, my Mossberg is a push feed.

jpattersonnh 12-14-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 402840)
That explains why dad always told me to put one round in and pop it into the mag that load it. OK as most of the target rifles are 03a3 or K98 in design.

If you do a little research, the 1903 Springfield was the cause of a patent infringment case between Mauser and the U.S. Gov't. The U.S. lost and paid quite a bit in penalties and license fee's to Mauser until 1917. In short, the '03 action, mag, charging system is a copy of the 1893 Mauser w/ a 3rd lug added.

The big advantage of a controlled feed is it fully supports the case head.

cpttango30 12-14-2010 03:17 PM

JP Now that you say that I remember reading that some where in one of my dads old books.

greydog 12-17-2010 05:51 AM

In fact, the CRF action do not support the case head fully; they only hold the case in the face of the bolt as it feeds out of the magazine.
It is a myth that CRF actions cannot be single loaded. While this true of the 98 Mauser, it is not true of the Enfield, Springfield, Lee Enfield, Model 70, Arisaka, Ruger 77 (MKII) or a host of other CRF actions.
From a feeding standpoint, a CRF action can be better IF IT IS PROPERLY SET UP. The push feeds are often more forgiving when it comes to getting them to feed well. From an accuracy standpoint, there should be little or no difference. Again, proper fitting of the extractor to barrel, in the case of the CRF action, is important. The extractor shouldn't contact the extractor cut at any point. The extractor should grasp a shell just tightly enough to hold a loaded cartridge in the bolt face with just a little "droop". The bolt should close as easily with the extractor installed as it does without. GD