Pure Ignorance
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Pure Ignorance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pure Ignorance

I need to ask a question out of pure ignorance. Is a .223 as brutally loud as a .22-250. I don't own a .223 or even been around one. So I'm honestly asking this out of pure ignorance. I'm think of purchasing my next rifle in .223 and I'm just wondering if it is equally as brutal. Sometimes you just don't have ear protection immediately available if ya know what I mean.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

No not really.

The 22-250 burns a lot of powder more than the 223 so that makes it louder.

Both are loud enough to do permanent damage to your hearing with one shot. TO me there is ZERO reason why you don't have hearing protection. I keep 3 sets in my car at all times. you never know when you are going to need them.

A lot of the loudness depends on your surroundings if you are in a wide open field it may not seam as loud as if you were shooting on a rifle range with a covered firing line.

While hunting I attach a small case to my sling so I know I always have them with me. You can also look into something like a walker game ear.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

Default Loud

Thanks tango. I thought that might be the case but I was hoping the .223 might be a little more forgiving in case I saw a coyote when I didn't have my ear plugs in my pocket. That does happen when you're busy on a ranch like I am.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You can get a muzzle brake to thread on that projects all blast forward. a little more forgiving on the ears.

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=817
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #5

Default Muzzle Brake

Dragon Head muzzle brake. I'll check into that more. Thanks for the pointer.
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Heres a better source, as the one i posted affixes with allen screws. The ones Ive seen actually thread on.

Black Hole Weaponry
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #7

Default .308 versus .22-250

Thanks Willfully. I have to ask a followup though. Is the .308 any less brutal in the loud department. I must have been just dumb and young but I don't remember .30-30 being as brutal. Hope it's okay to ask a follow up and not start an entire new thread.
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

See Tango's post.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I standunder about hearing protection. Have you thought about getting a rifle with a suppressor on it? An AR-15 with a good suppressor shooting regular rounds is much quiter. that an unfiltered one.

Gemtech GEMTECH Suppressors Online - Quiet things for quiet professionals. - GEMTECH

AAC Advanced Armament :: Home

Liberty Suppressors Liberty Suppressors - Firearm Sound Suppressor and World Class Silencer

Last edited by cpttango30; 12-13-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #10

Default Hearing Protection

Preaching to the choir tango. Made the mistake ONCE without.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS.

I'll just stick with the .22-250 and look to put a muzzle brake on it in addition.

Patriot Guard Rider

Last edited by hogrider; 12-13-2010 at 07:47 PM.