Purchasing an AR15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Purchasing an AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I know the ones I've seen that have just been thrown together with different uppers and lowers don't seem to be as smooth and reliable as a full on Colt model. There is alot of guys out there throwing these things together from internet parts. Parts that only can be had in this day of shortages. These guns that everyone just loves have never shot a colt. Most of them sound rough in comparison. Now I'm basing my opionin on what I have seen out my way when the guys from town come out and I take them to the desert to shoot. We have alot of problems with misfeeds and inaccuracy. Some of these guns the uppers woble on the reciever. It just blows my mind on how much money some of these guys have spent on these guns. I agree on what people are saying on here. Wait and let the price go down and get a whole gun made by one manufacture. These guys that are building them at home I would stay away from them unless both uppers and lowers are same manufacture and they give you a grwat warranty. Just going by what I have seen come out to the desert.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

My favorite black rifle is one I "threw together" from Internet parts and 3k later I have yet to have a single misfeed or FTF that was not reloads related. I.e. experimenting with powder charges.

As long as you know what your doing with a build they can and usually do turn out better than factory rifles.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post

Just curious what kind of issues you've had with DPMS?
Westy, I bought a New DPMS and as soon as I shot it , 3rd round jammed, then the then the 7th jammed. I changed over to hornady 53 grain and again jammed... I sent it to my gunsmith and he said dpms spits out a couple duds... My stag Arms kicks ass not one jam. And if I put my stag upper on my dpms lower it won't fire. But my neighbor has a dpms that has never jammed

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpressMagnum View Post
Westy, I bought a New DPMS and as soon as I shot it , 3rd round jammed, then the then the 7th jammed. I changed over to hornady 53 grain and again jammed... I sent it to my gunsmith and he said dpms spits out a couple duds... My stag Arms kicks ass not one jam. And if I put my stag upper on my dpms lower it won't fire. But my neighbor has a dpms that has never jammed
Interesting... I have a couple DPMS's, Rock River's, and a Bushmaster, and have never had any trouble. Some of them are built from parts, i.e. not bought as complete guns. I suppose it's like the gunsmith said, they kick out a few bad ones from time to time. I have a friend who's an armorer for one of the local county's sheriff's department and all he sells is DMPS and RR. He builds them though, with White Oak (?) barrels.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What did you end up doing with it? Did you sell it or have it fixed?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 04-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #26

I still have it I just got a stag trigger assembly and hammer to make sure its fine my gut tells me it will fix it ill see my gunsmith on Sunday he will do it. I'm not hating on dpms I'm just saying I heard great things but I've had issue from the get go. My next Ar will be the REM R15 those are bad ass