Pump or Lever - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Pump or Lever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
RED
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Go for the pump.

The lever guns, especially the older ones, require you to work the action in order to put a round in the chamber. You then have a cocked piece that requires you to pull the trigger to lower the hammer. HELLO! That can be dangerous. I have been present for 3 ND's, and 2 were lever guns. JMHO

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED View Post
The lever guns, especially the older ones, require you to work the action in order to put a round in the chamber. You then have a cocked piece that requires you to pull the trigger to lower the hammer. HELLO! That can be dangerous. I have been present for 3 ND's, and 2 were lever guns. JMHO
Kinda like a 1911, huh...

What's the difference? For a ND to happen, somebody isn't paying attention. They probably should stay with a pump, if that's the case. No offense.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is true on older lever actions, but newer Marlins and Winchesters have a cross bolt safety that would prevent accidental discharge. BTW, many guns have to cocked to be loaded, and even some with the safety off to unload, as is the case with any bolt action with a two position safety. If I want to de-cock my Taurus PT99, you have to pull the trigger and let the hammer down. What about when you cock a revolver to fire it in single action mode? Same situation. Just have to be careful.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
RED

Likes Given: 1

Default Kinda like a 1911???

Scuse me. I rack a round into my 1911 and then apply the safety. "Cocked and locked" is the term. You cannot do that with the older '94's and 336's you must pull the trigger and ease down the hammer. If your thumb slips KABOOM!

Anyone that compares a vintage lever gun to a 1911 as far as safety goes has probably handled neither.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED View Post
Scuse me. I rack a round into my 1911 and then apply the safety. "Cocked and locked" is the term. You cannot do that with the older '94's and 336's you must pull the trigger and ease down the hammer. If your thumb slips KABOOM!

Anyone that compares a vintage lever gun to a 1911 as far as safety goes has probably handled neither.
AHH, yes. But just how do you let the hammer DOWN on that 1911. As for me, if I was unloading it, I would drop the mag and eject the shell in the chamber. Much like I would do for a lever gun. Eject the friggin' things= no problem. I have BOTH, though the lever gun isn't an older model (I wish it was). This process works for me. Guess it's too simple.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #16

The only safety that works is the operator, no mechanical device can cover carelessness or stupidity!
I think I prefer the lever action because I,ve never handled a pump gun that didn't rattle. I have enough noise factors to deal with when hunting without adding a rattle trap gun to the list!
I also believe that the only long guns that can be chamber loaded without having the mechanisem cocked is the single shot and double barrel guns with exposed hammers.