Pump or Lever

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Pump or Lever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pump or Lever

What would be better, pump action or lever action gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinegun View Post
What would be better, pump action or lever action gun?
Tough question.

I think it boils down to personal preference. I see no advantage of one over the other.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:28 AM   #3

I agree with FALPhil.

I think its just a personal preference. Out of the two I would pick a lever action. I have had a couple of Marlin and Winchester lever guns over the years and liked them alot. With the new Hornady LeveRevolution ammo out the lever action rifles are more popular now.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #4

Would also depend on what caliber you want. There are very few center-fire slide actions in production, I think Remington is still making a one for "modern" cartridges such as the .30-06; .308; and .270. and there may be a couple being made for the .44 Mag and .357 Mag pistol cartridges. If you want to use the "traditional" tube magazine cartridges such as .30-30 or .45-70, unless you can find a (usable) used one, and they are about as rare as hen's teeth, you are forced to go with the lever gun.

Gun Control is a MUST! If you cannot control your gun get one you CAN!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #5

I own a remington 7600 pump action in .30-06 and I love it. It fires 5 rounds quicker than my friends can get 2 off in their bolt actions. It has a free floating barrel and is very accurate with good ammo. Check them out and see, they are reasonably priced, I got mine used for 275 bucks and it was in mint condition. I own a 30-30 model 94 winchester, but like it was mentioned before, they are more for close range bush use. I regularly take bears, moose, caribou, and wolves with mine and several times the shots have been 300-350 yards on large frozen lakes. (possibly farther as distance is hard to judge on open ice- I could barely make out the wolves at 9x power) but they dropped with 1 shot each time, but if the gun doesnt fit you and feels funny when you hold it, then you wont shoot well anyhow, so try some out for fit before you go any further

Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

6 of one

1/2 dozen for the other.

Depending on caliber, something like a .30-06 or .270, you could have a Remington or Browning pump or the Browning BLR lever rifle. I don't if the browning pump is still being made. You could even get into the short mags and belted mags with the BLR. Or get the .308 Marlin Express for power with a traditional lever gun look.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the Marlin Lever in .308 is pretty nice

Old 01-28-2008, 03:41 AM   #8

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarnewfie View Post
I own a remington 7600 pump action in .30-06 and I love it. It fires 5 rounds quicker than my friends can get 2 off in their bolt actions. It has a free floating barrel and is very accurate with good ammo. Check them out and see, they are reasonably priced, I got mine used for 275 bucks and it was in mint condition. I own a 30-30 model 94 winchester, but like it was mentioned before, they are more for close range bush use. I regularly take bears, moose, caribou, and wolves with mine and several times the shots have been 300-350 yards on large frozen lakes. (possibly farther as distance is hard to judge on open ice- I could barely make out the wolves at 9x power) but they dropped with 1 shot each time, but if the gun doesnt fit you and feels funny when you hold it, then you wont shoot well anyhow, so try some out for fit before you go any further
+1 on that! I also love my 7600 Remington. That said, my first gun was a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. I loved that gun and wish I never sold it. And as a1huntingsupply said, with the Leverevolution ammo it is even better. Still can't keep up with the good old 30-06 but the Browning BLR can! Try 'em all and whatever feels best in your hands, go for it!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-28-2008, 03:42 AM   #9

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
the Marlin Lever in .308 is pretty nice
If you mean 308 Win. Marlin never made a gun in that caliber. But the new 308 Marlin is supposed to come pretty close and yes it should be a great gun.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
If you mean 308 Win. Marlin never made a gun in that caliber. But the new 308 Marlin is supposed to come pretty close and yes it should be a great gun.
the new marlin has been out for awhile now, called .308 MX I have sold alot since they have came out and sold alot to law enforcement guys, this gun however will not chamber the standard 308