Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Pump or Lever (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/pump-lever-1112/)

maschinegun 07-06-2007 02:31 PM

Pump or Lever

What would be better, pump action or lever action gun?

FALPhil 07-06-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maschinegun (Post 3905)
What would be better, pump action or lever action gun?

Tough question.

I think it boils down to personal preference. I see no advantage of one over the other.

a1huntingsupply 07-07-2007 12:28 AM

I agree with FALPhil.

I think its just a personal preference. Out of the two I would pick a lever action. I have had a couple of Marlin and Winchester lever guns over the years and liked them alot. With the new Hornady LeveRevolution ammo out the lever action rifles are more popular now.

deerhuntguy 07-12-2007 09:23 PM

Would also depend on what caliber you want. There are very few center-fire slide actions in production, I think Remington is still making a one for "modern" cartridges such as the .30-06; .308; and .270. and there may be a couple being made for the .44 Mag and .357 Mag pistol cartridges. If you want to use the "traditional" tube magazine cartridges such as .30-30 or .45-70, unless you can find a (usable) used one, and they are about as rare as hen's teeth, you are forced to go with the lever gun.

polarnewfie 11-09-2007 08:15 PM

I own a remington 7600 pump action in .30-06 and I love it. It fires 5 rounds quicker than my friends can get 2 off in their bolt actions. It has a free floating barrel and is very accurate with good ammo. Check them out and see, they are reasonably priced, I got mine used for 275 bucks and it was in mint condition. I own a 30-30 model 94 winchester, but like it was mentioned before, they are more for close range bush use. I regularly take bears, moose, caribou, and wolves with mine and several times the shots have been 300-350 yards on large frozen lakes. (possibly farther as distance is hard to judge on open ice- I could barely make out the wolves at 9x power) but they dropped with 1 shot each time, but if the gun doesnt fit you and feels funny when you hold it, then you wont shoot well anyhow, so try some out for fit before you go any further

shoez 01-27-2008 10:33 PM

6 of one

1/2 dozen for the other.

Depending on caliber, something like a .30-06 or .270, you could have a Remington or Browning pump or the Browning BLR lever rifle. I don't if the browning pump is still being made. You could even get into the short mags and belted mags with the BLR. Or get the .308 Marlin Express for power with a traditional lever gun look.

Righteous 01-27-2008 11:50 PM

the Marlin Lever in .308 is pretty nice

jeepejeep 01-28-2008 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarnewfie (Post 11674)
I own a remington 7600 pump action in .30-06 and I love it. It fires 5 rounds quicker than my friends can get 2 off in their bolt actions. It has a free floating barrel and is very accurate with good ammo. Check them out and see, they are reasonably priced, I got mine used for 275 bucks and it was in mint condition. I own a 30-30 model 94 winchester, but like it was mentioned before, they are more for close range bush use. I regularly take bears, moose, caribou, and wolves with mine and several times the shots have been 300-350 yards on large frozen lakes. (possibly farther as distance is hard to judge on open ice- I could barely make out the wolves at 9x power) but they dropped with 1 shot each time, but if the gun doesnt fit you and feels funny when you hold it, then you wont shoot well anyhow, so try some out for fit before you go any further

+1 on that! I also love my 7600 Remington. That said, my first gun was a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. I loved that gun and wish I never sold it. And as a1huntingsupply said, with the Leverevolution ammo it is even better. Still can't keep up with the good old 30-06 but the Browning BLR can! Try 'em all and whatever feels best in your hands, go for it!

jeepejeep 01-28-2008 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righteous (Post 15072)
the Marlin Lever in .308 is pretty nice

If you mean 308 Win. Marlin never made a gun in that caliber. But the new 308 Marlin is supposed to come pretty close and yes it should be a great gun.

Righteous 01-28-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepejeep (Post 15086)
If you mean 308 Win. Marlin never made a gun in that caliber. But the new 308 Marlin is supposed to come pretty close and yes it should be a great gun.

the new marlin has been out for awhile now, called .308 MX I have sold alot since they have came out and sold alot to law enforcement guys, this gun however will not chamber the standard 308