PTC Remmy 700 replacement bolt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > PTC Remmy 700 replacement bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default PTC Remmy 700 replacement bolt

Anyone out there have any experience with Pacific Tool & Guage Remington 700 replacement bolt assemblies ? Still waiting for my Krieger barrel and Mcmillan A-5 stock for my long range target build Remmy 700 and just run across an article on 6mmBr.com about this "blueprinted" replacement bolt assembly. Looks like a reasonable deal.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-29-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: PTC should be PTG

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

I'm just curious -- If you're replacing the bolt, the barrel, the stock, and I assume you're going to run a Jewell trigger . . . Why buy a Rem. 700? Why not just buy a receiver and build from the ground up?

Stolle Panda . . .

I put a Mark 4 Leupold scope/rings/base on a Rem. 700 Police. It shoots sub MOA, and the other one I had in .223 Ackley was shooting 0.2xx MOA when I did my part on the ammo.

Last edited by SlamFire; 03-29-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamFire View Post
I'm just curious -- If you're replacing the bolt, the barrel, the stock, and I assume you're going to run a Jewell trigger . . . Why buy a Rem. 700? Why not just buy a receiver and build from the ground up?

Stolle Panda . . .

I put a Mark 4 Leupold scope/rings/base on a Rem. 700 Police. It shoots sub MOA, and the other one I had in .223 Ackley was shooting 0.2xx MOA when I did my part on the ammo.
Bought the Remmington 700 rifle for cheaper than I could buy the Remington 700 reciever by itself. (Rifle cost me $499.00 new) Near impossible to find new factory Remington recievers and when you can they want $150.00 to $200.00 more than for their cheap SPS rifles. This is a .300 Win Mag long action I'm building for a 1000 Yd. Target rifle project. Pretty much I'm harvesting the reciever from this donor rifle for my build. The gunsmith will credit me $150.00 for the parts he'll get that I get rid of on this rifle. (Stock, Barrel, trigger, and bottom metal.) My brother and I recently have purchased a short action Surgeon Rifles milled reciever and bolt assembly for another 1000 yd. targed project in .243 Win. which cost just over $1200.00 alone. And yes, were running Jewell triggers and well as Badger Ordance Bottom metal with detachable magazines, Krieger barrels and McMillan A-5 stocks on both these rifles. The long action .300 Win. Mag. as well as the .243 Win. projects will be both using Leupold Mk-IV 8.5-25X50mm glass. Right now I'm shooting the stock SPS with the Jewell trigger to 600 yards. Groups are fair at best until the barrel gets too hot. Have the Krieger #9 heavy target barrel in 30" length on order with threadded barrel for muzzel break with 1:11 twist. Barrel weighs only 6 lbs so the gun will not be a "Bench Queen" Using Berger 210 grain match target BT bullet, Nozler brass, CCI BRII primers and IMR 4350. Still working up ballistics on load recipies but should attain just over 3000 fps. muzzel velocity. More than enough to carry super sonic past 1000 yards.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-29-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

You ordered a #9 contour barrel? That is a rather hefty barrel your going to have there. Hope you are planning to run in the heavy gun class.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You realize that any replacement bolt will still have to have the locking lugs lapped in right? You made an excellent choice with Krieger barrel. While I havn't used PTG replacement bolts, I can verify about their quality of their reamers, I have several and use them regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Anyone out there have any experience with Pacific Tool & Guage Remington 700 replacement bolt assemblies ? Still waiting for my Krieger barrel and Mcmillan A-5 stock for my long range target build Remmy 700 and just run across an article on 6mmBr.com about this "blueprinted" replacement bolt assembly. Looks like a reasonable deal.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You ordered a #9 contour barrel? That is a rather hefty barrel your going to have there. Hope you are planning to run in the heavy gun class.
Yeah it is kind of heavy. It's 30" long and weighs 6 lbs. That is before they flute it. Then It'll weigh a little less. Three 20 round sesions in 30 minuets each for the day competition. Barrel gets real hot and needs some mass to stabilize. The stock barrel is nearly usless after it heats up this much. Some guys in this club have barrels that weigh 23 lbs. and total rifle weight over 30 lbs. What I call "Bench Queens" All our shooting is in prone position.

Long range shooting is a terrible addiction. First it starts with putting holes in holes at 200 yards. Then thats not enough. Then you go out to 300, 400, and 500 yards with near holes in holes and in general tight groups. Cost of rifle tuning and equipment goes up. Then some guy that shoots 1000 yards competition offers to let you shoot his rig at 1000 yards. OMG now you have a monkey on your back. At this point you've become a sub moa junkie! You just cant quit! LOL

Last edited by mrm14; 03-31-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You realize that any replacement bolt will still have to have the locking lugs lapped in right? You made an excellent choice with Krieger barrel. While I havn't used PTG replacement bolts, I can verify about their quality of their reamers, I have several and use them regularly.
Yup. Just found the article on it and considered it. However, I think I'll have the stock bolt "bleuprinted" when they tune the reciever. The 243 Win. target by brother and I are building is using Surgeon Rifles milled billlet 700 style reciever and bolt assembly. This one will be off the hook!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #8

We have used the PT&G bolts for years. We use them in oversized bolt body dimensions in Remington receivers we have single point cut blue printed, and re-cut the bolt raceway so that it is concentric and of uniform dimensions and diameter. They can be used without re-cutting the bolt raceway, and it is best to spec the bolt body diameter to be no less than 0.0015" under the dimensions of the smallest diameter measurement of the two bolt raceway surfaces. That method will reduce the amount of bolt slop, or bolt movement while in battery.

The bolt body is centerless ground to be concentric to 30 microns. The bolt face and lugs usually run out at no more than 0.001"+/- so we blue print those surfaces. They can be gotten in any diameter you want, ground or milled fluting (or not), Rem or Sako extractor, and all of the other high performance component parts - various style bolt handles and knobs, various choices in firing pin assembly components and complete assemblies, and various bolt shrouds.

A number of manufacturers of aftermarket Remington 700 clone actions get the bolts to complete their action assemblies are using bolts and other components made by PT&G. Our Remington 700 clone actions use bolts and firing pin assemblies made by PT&G that have milled spiral flutes to reduce both weight and bolt raceway drag, and have an AR style extractor. I started having conversations with Dave Kiff on the design a couple of years back when I was discussing the design changes I wanted to make on the original Remington 700 design for use in the production of our actions.

After having said all of that, it is obvious I endorse the use of Rem 700 bolts from PT&G.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 05-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #9

Krieger is done with my barrel and I have sent the rifle to them a few days ago. For now, I'm having them "blue print" the reciver and bolt as they place the barrel.

I'm still, however, considering the PT&G bolt at a future date.

As for total rifle build weight, I am estimating around 12 lbs. Right in the range of weight of my M1A. I dont feel these range of weights for rifles are that bad for me.