Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > proud new owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default proud new owner

well, today i was looking around online for deals on spotting scopes cause i kinda wanted one for my trips to the range when i saw that the Big 5 (sporting goods store) in my area had some on sale for like half price or less so i went up there.

after i found the one i wanted i was waiting for the guy to come over so i could check it out when i glanced over at the rifles and right in the front in the center was a russian mosin nagant 91/30 for 99 bucks.

99 dollar rifle, i had to check it out. plus i've been reading in this forum about how these are supposed to be great rifles for the money.

the one on display was in horrible shape. it literally had holes rotting through the stock and i was about to say screw it and just get what i came for, but the guy told me he had another one in the back that was in better shape but it was still covered in the cosmoline stuff so it wasn't on the shelf.

after a look at it and a peek down the bore of the second one i thought it was in good enough shape for the 99 dollar price tag so i went ahead and got it. after i got it home i broke it all the way down and got all the cosmoline off and gave it a good thorough cleaning and oiling and it looks a lot better. here's some pics of what i got:

a friend of mine has the m44 and i've shot it a couple times and it was decently accurate and the 7.62x54r ammo is dirt cheap so i think i'll be happy with mine.

thanks for the suggestion FTF. i'm sure this 99 dollar purchase will give me many years of enjoyment. maybe i'll do a range report on this one when i go try it out tomorrow (weather permitting).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #2

For just $99 I would have been all over that too. I've got no idea of their actual value but it sure is a good looking rifle at a sweet price.

Congrats

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey congrats man. My father and I got both of ours from Big five too at the same price. It's hard to find anything these days for $99 that will last as long or provide as much entertainment as one of these rifles. At the moment ammo is cheap so it is a hoot to shoot kinda nice after a .22lr or 5.56 to shoot something that lets you know it's there when you pull the trigger . uh oh I might be turning into a recoil junkie (I know it's not that big of a recoil but its up there in my book from the limited firearms I have shot). lol

Any way congrats enjoy the cheap ammo and fun.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great find! Do they have any more?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Mosins are starting to try up a bit as well as the ammo. Of course it is because of the recent scare of gun bans. I bought mine a few months ago and love it. Fun to shoot but after 60 rounds, the recoil hurts. Have fun and as far as value, it will increase BECAUSE of the scarcity, but not by much. So I would keep it. Great rifle and powerful round!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Mosins are starting to try up a bit as well as the ammo. Of course it is because of the recent scare of gun bans. I bought mine a few months ago and love it. Fun to shoot but after 60 rounds, the recoil hurts. Have fun and as far as value, it will increase BECAUSE of the scarcity, but not by much. So I would keep it. Great rifle and powerful round!
The 91/30 has recoil?? Come on now. It is pretty timid. Why do people keep saying it has bruising recoil??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The 91/30 has recoil?? Come on now. It is pretty timid. Why do people keep saying it has bruising recoil??
They do make a handy firestarter from the muzzle flash LOL!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #8

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
They do make a handy firestarter from the muzzle flash LOL!
In a carbine such as the M38 or M44, sure. Not w/ the 91/30. It is a real ***** cat.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
After a few boxes of ammo, it starts to get buggy!!!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Man I remember when those things were everywhere, some places as low as $79. They have all now "disappeared" in the hysteria.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr