Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Project - Rebuild M70 7MM Rem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Project - Rebuild M70 7MM Rem

Bought a rough M70 serial g13062xx appears to made in 76-77 time frame. The jeweled bolt is about worn smooth and it appears this one was used and enjoyed. The rifling is still sharp, needs cleaning of course.

I will refinish the stock but I was wondering if the bolt should be replaced or can it be? Or remachined/jeweled.

I'm not opposed to some custom work but have no idea who to turn to.

The trigger is very smooth and crisp and the action even though looking pretty worn, functions smoothly.

I really want to keep the action and stock. Maybe replace barrel with a Douglas or Shilen. Unless someone has a better idea.

What are some things to keep in consideration on a project of this type other than money.

If you are a gunsmith doing this kind of work please let me know or have a recommendation of one you trust.

Last edited by jpc1960; 06-12-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16924 Times on 9806 Posts
Likes Given: 44112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1960 View Post
Bought a rough M70 serial g13062xx appears to made in 76-77 time frame. The jeweled bolt is about worn smooth and it appears this one was used and enjoyed. The rifling is still sharp, needs cleaning of course.

I will refinish the stock but I was wondering if the bolt should be replaced or can it be? Or remachined/jeweled.

I'm not opposed to some custom work but have no idea to turn to.

The trigger is very smooth and crisp and the action even though looking pretty worn, functions smoothly.

I really want to keep the action and stock. Maybe replace barrel with a Douglas or Shilen. Unless someone has a better idea.

What are some things to keep in consideration on a project of this type other than money.

If you are a gunsmith doing this kind of work please let me know or have a recommendation of one you trust.
is it just the appearance of the jeweled bolt that is worn? if so, it can be rejeweled. check out Brownell's as they have the equipment and such to jewel parts.

you can send the barreled action to most of the barrel makers and they can make and install the new barrel and send it back to you. check out Hart, Krieger, McGowan and Shillen. expect it to take a few months to complete though. and if you plan on refinishing the stock, once you have the barreled action back, most of the rest, you should be able to complete.

good luck with the project and post some pictures. would like to see how it's going.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What about checking tools? Where to find good ones?

Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16924 Times on 9806 Posts
Likes Given: 44112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1960 View Post
What about checking tools? Where to find good ones?
Brownell's and MidwayUSA both have them.

i'll be honest with you on this. i have tried in the past to do checkering on gunstocks and it's much harder than it looks! if just recutting the existing checkering, it might not be too difficult. Brownell's does have a couple of books on doing checkering. but IMO, checkering is more learned skill or art from doing many of them for years. personally, i don't have that skill!