problem with sks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > problem with sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default problem with sks

Bought chinese version, no gas selector or tube sights. Pretty gummed up with the cosmoline, I dont think original owner(s) ever cleaned it. dismantled,Rinsed it with gasoline, oiled with hoppers 9, came with ~800 rnds of copper looking shelled ammo(he said they were military surplus?) in the 10 stripper clips. Randomly the bullets would either become parrellel in the internal mag and stop loading or the tip would not get lifted inline with the chamber and would get stuck in the corner.

Would this be due to the military surplus rounds? or is the spring in the mag just wore out and needs replacing?

part 2
I was thinking of getting a tapco t6 stock and was wondering if it will accomidate an extended removable mag as well? most say you have to modify the mag port opening on the original stocks to acc. the mag release.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Did you completely disassemble the action and mag to clean out the cosmo or just rinse the gasoline through it?

You may have some unseen gunk in the mag, cosmoline will harden into a varnish like coating if it is melted and left to setup on the metal. I would recommend completely redoing the cosmo cleaning since you don't know what the previous owner really did. Give the bolt and chamber a good scrub as well. Also, try kerosine or break cleaner...a safer alternative to gas and a better solvent, jmho.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

i didn't take apart the bolt itself, or bolt assembly?, i did have a few duds but they had strike marks on them and when i cleaned the bolt the pin was clean enough to free float and clink when i shook it. i didn't scrub anything just let it sit in gas for 20 mins for so the rinsed it and let it dry, but when i rubbed my fingers on it no dirt came off on my hands. then reassembled then oiled. I figured i should have oiled before reassmbly? but i just didn't think it should be jamming so early on me. i do have a cleaning kit so i will scrub it some and see if that helps.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #4

Disassemble the gun and use CRC brake clean. It dissolves the cosmo and then give it a good rinse in hot water. Then WD-40 the heck out of it to displace the water. Reassemble and have fun.
I have owned 4 different SKS's and still have one. Each one I bought I got straight from the packing so each one was thouroughly coated in that nasty crap. I gave each one of them the treatment I stated and have yet to have any problems.
The ammo you speak of is not exactly what I would call reliable ammo. Is it the norinco stuff? I still have a couple thousand rounds of it and I just dont use it. I keep it in a box just to have on hand in case.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

ok, will do

now how about the stock and magazine question?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

I used Tapco stuff before. I have no direct experience with the T6 stock but a friend has one. He had to do a little shaving for it to accomodate the removable mags but it works good according to him. I havent seen it yet. I may get a chance to play with it in two weeks when he comes up here. I dont know if he will bring it up with him though...I live in NY where collapsing stocks are a no no.
Of course I would NEVER own something that the great state of NY would tell me I cant.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

^lol
what am i supposed to use to scrub this metal? will a tooth brush get this stuff off with some Rem Oil? or do i need a harder brush and that breakfree stuff?

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterfan View Post
^lol
what am i supposed to use to scrub this metal? will a tooth brush get this stuff off with some Rem Oil? or do i need a harder brush and that breakfree stuff?
Nylon bristle brush...pick one up at any gunshop or Home Depot (in the finish and stain section) for about $2. And it's just plain old brake cleaner you get at Pep Boys...not Breakfree, that's for after you get the goo off. Buy 2 cans, disassemble all the metal parts and spray the hell out of it...let it sit...spray it again and use the brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Words of caution...ventilation and no smoking... Clean all the brake cleaner off with some hot soapy water and oil as needed, you should be good to go.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

K, just bought some and a winchester cleaning kit. That can of brake cleaner sure goes fast. barely had enough to finish but i did spray every single part done 3 times. submerged in soapy warm water for maybe a minute. sat in sun for 30-1hr, in arkansas ITS HOT, gonna spray down with rem oil and reassemble. Will try to go shooting next week sometime.

Also ordered a gas tube rail to go with the adv tech. strikeforce stock i will be getting.