Is this a problem?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is this a problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Is this a problem?

This is a spent cartridge from my CETME 308. Actually, it won't eject brass shells. I fired 40 of these which i think were American Eagle, without a hickup but i noticed that they look the same as the brass ones that did not eject and wondered if there is a problem with the rifle. Thanks in advance for your insight.imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1399749000.601696.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Iphone

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 177 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30 View Post
This is a spent cartridge from my CETME 308. Actually, it won't eject brass shells. I fired 40 of these which i think were American Eagle, without a hickup but i noticed that they look the same as the brass ones that did not eject and wondered if there is a problem with the rifle. Thanks in advance for your insight.Attachment 143609
Iphone
Those look like my empty's from my H&K. Looks like a fluted chamber but I don't think it's a problem.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 05-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What does “fluted” mean?

Iphone

Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Fluted means there is recesses cut in the wall of the chamber. Fluting is more common on the outside of barrels to reduce weight and dissipate heat than inside a chamber.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7928

Field strip the rifle, and inspect the chamber and gas system. Use a chamber bush on the chamber, and make make sure your gas system (block, tube, etc.) is thoroughly clean. if the problem persists, try a different brand of ammo, and talk to a smith.

This is just my own thoughts on general semi-auto issues. I have no experience with the CETME .308.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 05-10-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1747 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Field strip the rifle, and inspect the chamber and gas system. Use a chamber bush on the chamber, and make make sure your gas system (block, tube, etc.) is thoroughly clean. if the problem persists, try a different brand of ammo, and talk to a smith.

This is just my own thoughts on general semi-auto issues. I have no experience with the CETME .308.
I think that's his (OP) problem as well. The CETME has no gas tube, it's all delayed blowback. The rifle doesn't know brass from steel, there has to be a minuscule difference in the headspace or what not, but I better stop here.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Eagle,

I do not believe my CETME has a fluted chamber in it! But I did find this that I might share with you for information only!
Beware of Commercial .308 and Fluted Chambers
Posted April 30, 2013 in News, Other Gear & Gadgets, Rifles by Alex C. with 83 Comments

My good friend CJ is a real whiz at building H&K roller locked stuff. Back in the day when G3 parts kits were affordable and flowed into the United States like water anyone could build one for a few hundred bucks. The problem however (aside from relative build difficulty) was that a true G3 spec chamber does not like commercial .308 Winchester ammunition. G3 rifles have an internally fluted barrel. This aides in extraction and prevents the possibility of an extractor breaking, and a shell sticking. The gas from the discharge is forced back and around the spent shell blowing it out of the breech. So, in the event an extractor breaks, or some ammunition failure, you will definitely get the spent case out of the weapon. With no extractor at all it will eject a round, or at worse cause a partial ejection which requires you to pull the cocking handle and drop the round out. The problem with this is it mangles brass. CJ found this out the hard way:
What you see here is what can happen. This was commercial .308 fired in a properly built G3; It is very dangerous and can kill you. *******You must use 7.62×51 NATO if you have a true G3 spec barrel. As you can see, the top of that round has the aforementioned flute marks – that’s what a spent shell looks like – it gets ruined. Now, if you notice… that’s only 1/3 of a shell, the rest of it was ripped off. Since commercial .308 is much thinner cased, when the round discharges the more pliable case expands and actually sticks in the flutes, and given the power of the round, the extractor literally rips the back of the case off, leaving the front of the shell stuck in the barrel. The next round was cycled in with such force, it actually slid itself through the remaining case neck. Luckily CJ noticed the rifle wasn't in full battery and didn’t fire it (that would have been catastrophic).
H&K 91 rifles had a much looser chamber to allow the firing of .308 ammunition, and modern manufacturers of G3 pattern rifles seem to have adopted a similar chamber. Just beware of what can happen and be safe!
Special thanks to CJ for sharing this information and photograph.

With that said some serious research is warranted!

fluted-chamber.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 05-11-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1747 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 899

I think Sniper may be right on the money. I forgot that your CETME is in fact a 7.62 and "not exactly" a .308.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It has .308 writen on the frame.

Iphone

Old 05-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #10

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30 View Post
It has .308 writen on the frame.

Iphone
Does not matter. The Cetme is 7.62x51, not .308. You are hammering your receiver and creating a very dangerous situation. The roller lock bolt is VG, but if you keep over pressurizing it, it will fail. Your face is behind it, so you decide.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.