Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Probably Not Important, but.............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Folks generally fall into two camps, those that aren't sure or mistaken and post something wrong; and those that know everything and post something wrong.

The first group will generally receive advice & guidance where the second group will generally be thumped pretty hard. Aspiring to be a teacher or mentor is a real good, being a total jerk just out to slam someone isn't so good. We all choose the path we take...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #12

A pet peeve is nothing a valium or two won't take care of....

Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #13

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have been belittled on this forum by one person particularly for improper nomenclature on more than one occasion. It accompilshes 2 things: it educates me and it makes him look like an ass. Not for correcting me but for the way it was done. I'm here to learn and don't mind being corrected but I'm not a "Maggot" or an "Idiot" I am a fellow gun enthusiest that may or may not know as much as the next guy. If someone knows more than I do about a certain subject, chances are that is why I join the discussion. If someone asks for info that I can give' I offer it. If they want an opinion I might give mine. Just remember opinions are like A-holes-everyone has one.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 02-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #14

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

In ''REAL''1911's...we trust

Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

But I DO shoot a Taurus 1911. I don't have any Smith & Westons though.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
I have been belittled on this forum by one person particularly for improper nomenclature on more than one occasion. It accompilshes 2 things: it educates me and it makes him look like an ass. Not for correcting me but for the way it was done. I'm here to learn and don't mind being corrected but I'm not a "Maggot" or an "Idiot" I am a fellow gun enthusiest that may or may not know as much as the next guy. If someone knows more than I do about a certain subject, chances are that is why I join the discussion. If someone asks for info that I can give' I offer it. If they want an opinion I might give mine. Just remember opinions are like A-holes-everyone has one.
Well said. (Unless I was the one who belittled you, in which case ignore this...)

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default My only ''peeve''

I don't let alot get to me ....but . GUN grabber stats ....this pisses me off. Case in point #1 Child deaths attributed to gun violence. The public mindset envisions an innocent small child ....in reality it was 17yr old gangbanging drug dealer that got what was his /her due. #2 Bull s**t stats on assault weapons .....weapon of choice ,police out-gunned ,no sporting use ,clips, mags ,bears ohh my! ...and it goes on and on.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Powg- I must disagree. I went thru one of those "child death from firearms" reports, and noted that the claimed number of deaths exceeded the TOTAL deaths of children from ALL causes- started digging- Oh..... seems the "researchers" listed as children all persons TWENTY SIX YEARS OF AGE- and under. They also included in their death tally the rapist shot by his victim, the armed robber shooting at- and shot by- police.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only time I get really irritated at the nomenclature thing is when someone is spouting off like a know-it-all and gets things wrong. If it's a new person with a willingness to learn then I'm happy to offer constructive criticism, if indeed I have any more knowledge than the person asking the question.

Also, this is one reason I proofread my posts before I hit "Submit" most of the time, and one reason I use Firefox (built in spell check - also a pet peeve of mine) or iespell in Internet Explorer. I grew up with pencil and paper and get really irritated when someone is too lazy to use decent spelling, grammar, and punctuation. [/end rant]

Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #20

Liked 2397 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1887

My pet peeve along this line extends to the M1A, and conflicting claims that

it's .308, sometimes, and then "762 NATO" or 762X51mm other times.

Which is it? Because while you can chamber them both and fire them both from a .308, the NATO round is slightly different, smaller, IIRC, and has different, lower, reloading and pressure specs.

So, I'm given to understand that while it's do-able, it's not wise to fire a .308 in an M-14, while it's supposedly OK to use 762X51mm in an M1A, even though it's chambered for 308.

Or has the 308 round been so badly confused with the 762 NATO that in reality
the M1A is actually chambered for 762, and marketers are merely lying to increase sales?

Clip,clip,clip,clip,clip,ARRGHH!!

Last edited by therewolf; 02-18-2011 at 03:53 AM.