Probably Not Important, but.............
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Probably Not Important, but.............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Probably Not Important, but.............

Maybe I've spent too much of my life playing with firearms and/or maybe I spent too many years in the military running armories and firing ranges. OR maybe I am getting too cynical and too crotchety in my old age (I hope not), but some things really irk me these days. Bear with me.

I am a stickler for terminology (probably that military thing). If we are going to use, work on, and love firearms, shouldn't we show some semblance of knowledge. Has anyone ever seen a 7.62X52 NATO round? No, because there is only a 7.62 NATO round which is in all cases 51mm long. The same thing goes for the 5.56. There is no NATO round other than the 5.56 NATO which is 45mm in length. There damn sure isn't any such thing as a .223 NATO. AND the 7.62 NATO is not the same as a .308 Winchester round, nor is a 5.56 NATO round the same as a .223 Remington. I know, I know, in most cases they will both fit in either chamber. How would you like for someone to say that you slept with your sister? She's female just like your wife or girlfriend (I know that comment was gender specific and possibly crude, so shoot me). That doesn't make them the same does it?

People, both professionals and people who are in this for enjoyment, constantly use these terms interchangeably. In my eyes a person who points to a Taurus pistol that shoots .45 ACP ammo and calls it a 1911 is showing his or her ignorance. And it's not just the nimrods and rookies. You see it on many websites, such as Cabela's, Cheaper than Dirt, and Midway to name a few. I'm sorry, but it just trips my trigger (pun intended).

Okay, I have vented long enough. I feel better. Thanks for listening and I'd love to hear your all’s opinions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for sharing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yep. You are gonna fit in just fine around here.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Glad we could help you feel better.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You came out of the woodwork with that one but I agree 100%. I think you'll be just fine around this forum.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote: How would you like for someone to say that you slept with your sister? She's female just like your wife or girlfriend (I know that comment was gender specific and possibly crude, so shoot me). That doesn't make them the same does it?

It does on Jerry Springer every once in a while.

Just kidding, I know what you are saying, some get riled when a mag is called a clip. Just shrug it off and if you can or want to without knocking the person down a peg, show or tell them what is correct.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7107 Times on 4278 Posts
Likes Given: 8625

Early on in my membership here, I was using an incorrect term. I was very politely corrected here on the open forum. I was a little embarrassed, not at the correction but at the wrong terminology I was using. I was very thankful to be politely corrected. I am definitely here to learn. If you have knowledge to share, I hope you do. Be careful not to hurt feelings and I've also been corrected through PM's, which I don't mind either.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Then there is whole field of things like muzzle breaks (Really? How did you break it?) and M1 Grands.

They are just the poppy seed under the dentures of life. Not really important, just irritating as all get out.

PS- If we have to shoot you, could we use an Endfield?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

or a .357 magnet?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think the problem lends itself to sounding like a complete ass to be perfectly honest.

'Answer to question posed' and oh, BTW, they are called magazines, not clips'

Well great, now the new person is a bit embarassed at having used the wrong term and you rubbed their nose in it.

Some people can't type, some can't spell, some can't compose sentences or paragraphs, some are still learning the craft and terminology of small arms.

The only real differences are in one case you might be more inclined to mention it because this is a firearm's board.

If it can be constructive and helpful, that is great. If it's proposed from a position of superiority or all knowing knowledge, I think that leads down a much darker path....

JD