Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Precision target shooters...Gather 'round. Advice & info needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Precision target shooters...Gather 'round. Advice & info needed

I have been wanting a bolt rifle set up for precision long range shooting for a while now. I've decided to make a rifle like this my next purchace. Problem is, I don't know exactly what is the best for something like this. I'm not looking to get into any competitions or anything. I'm just lookin' for a really good out of the box set up that is accurate and I can have fun with.

I have an idea of what I want, but have some questions along with it. First off, I'm %99.9 sure I want to start with a Model 12 Savage chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. With everything I have read and the numbers that a 6.5 CM puts up, it seems to be the best choice. That's about all that I have my mind some what made up on. Now, here's my questions...

1. Which stock would be better to have? A fiberglass or a Laminate? Why?
2. What advantages does a 29" or 30" barrel give over a 26" besides velocity?
3. I've heard that guys set up for long range shooting like detachable mags. Is that because of competitions? I would think a single shot would be just fine for what I'm looking for.???

Let me explain....

Savage doesn't make a rifle exactly like I think I want it set up, but they will configure a rifle the way you want it. I like the Model 12 Long Range Precision, but don't know if I would be better off with a 30" barrel or not? The Model 12 LRP has a fluted 26" barrel. I also don't know if I need the fluted barrel or not. It may not make any difference. I don't know how that plays into the harmonics? I also like the Model 12 F/TR Target rifle, but I know it's set up for a specific class and is not chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm thinking that Savage may chamber it in 6.5 CM if specified? I do like that both have the target AccuTrigger, but they are two different guns. One, a single shot with a non fluted 30" barrel and a laminate stock and one with a detachable 4rd mag, a 26" fluted barrel with a fiberglass stock. I need a little direction from someone that has some experience or know how in this aera. Lol. I would like to buy the best rifle for my needs the first time. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

The 6.5CM is a great choice,also the 260 Remington or the 6.5x47.All three calibers are so close in ballistics,it comes down to what you want to shoot.
To your questions-
1.Stock-It's a personal choice,and will depend on your budget.I personally like a stock that's going to be used for long range shooting to have some weight to it.I have laminate and composite stocks,and really don't have a preference.Just make sure the stock fits you good.If it's too long/short length of pull,it will effect your accuracy.
I have 2 Choate Tactical stocks,1 Choate Ultimate Varminter stock,1 Boyd's laminate thumbhole stock that I modified to fit a heavy barrel & my hand,and 1 factory Savage model 12 laminate Target stock.I like them all for the calibers that I have in each of them.

2.Barrel length-A 26" barrel will work just fine.With the 6.5,you probably wouldn't gain much with a longer barrel,the case will only hold so much powder.Now with calibers such as 30/06,300 WM,338 Lapua,you can have some advantages using a longer barrel.

3.Detachable mags-They come in handy if all your shooting is factory ammo,but most are useless if you handload and load out near the lands of the barrel.My 308 is the only bolt action that I have with a detachable mag,and I can only use it with my hunting loads.My target loads are way too long to fit in the magazine.

If I was buying either of the rifles that you listed,it would be the Model 12 LRP.It's a great rifle for target shooting,yet still light enough if you ever want to hunt with it.The 12 F/TR is a boat anchor,you will be tired from carrying it from your vehicle to the shooting bench.It will shoot a little better than the LRP,but not much.
You will really need to put some decent optics on these rifles if you really want to shoot as far as this caliber can,cheap scopes will only disappoint you with their limited amount of clarity/adjustment ranges.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Liked 212 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Take some time and read up on basic rules for USBR-http://usbr.benchrest.net/rules.htm The LRP will get you into a lower class

Deside on a class to start in. Ether 260 or the 6.5creedmoor are fine LR cartidges and don't over look the 243 and 243AI for a upgrade down the road. So don't be tied to just one yet. Plinker or factory class would allow the model 12 LRP but the 260 would be the cartidge choise do to rules. . The plincker class limits scope cost and power. Makes for a better way to learn the game and spend the extra bucks on a better class of rifle rest and reloadging equipent.

Last edited by hardluk1; 10-23-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

JMO,but...if it is a choice between mediocre rest and top-notch rifle...vs the inverse....give me a solid rest/platform and a mediocre rifle.

Rifles come and go....as do brrls.Spend good money on optics and rests.They seem to hang around way longer than rifles/brrls.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

With that advise a savage /stevens 200 in 243 can be a great training rifle and very easy to step it up as time goes buy. You may change a barrel a year any how . Depending on how much you shoot. Buy a rifle basix trigger kit and a boyds stock to get started with . A sightron S-II BR scope or S-III target.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

I'm not gonna be changing a barrel a year. I'm just doing this for my own entertainment. If I were looking to compete, that might be a different story. I see where some guys are saying they get a 4,000 round life out of their 6.5CM and .260 barrels. It would take me a long time to get to the 4,000 round mark. However....

Over the last couple of days of looking, studying, researching, thinking and things of that sort, I think a .260 Rem will be just as good of a choice of caliber as a 6.5CM (for me at least). I have also decided how I would like my rifle to be set up (as of today Lol).

Savage doesn't offer a rifle set up exactly how I would like it, so I called Effie @ Savage today to ask about getting one set up to my specs. She said it wouldn't be a problem. I would like a rifle like the Model 12 LRPV. I like that it's a single shot. I like the right bolt, left port set up. The only thing is, they don't offer it in .260. She said they could chamber one in .260 no problem and the MSRP would be $1,745. Humm...that's a lot for a fun gun. Gonna do some more research and thinking.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #7

Here's a thought.....I can buy the action like I want, soooo.....why couldn't I build a rifle like I want? Would I come out cheaper than the $1,300 or so I would have to pay for the Savage built to my specs?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1115 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSlanger View Post
Here's a thought.....I can buy the action like I want, soooo.....why couldn't I build a rifle like I want? Would I come out cheaper than the $1,300 or so I would have to pay for the Savage built to my specs?
LeadSlanger,Savage rifles are like Lego's.You can put just about anything you want together with just a few simple tools.
You will need the following things to build/assemble your own rifle.
1.An Action Wrench
2.A Barrel Nut Wrench
3.A set of Go / No Go gauges for whatever caliber barrel you want to install.

Savage has 2 different size shanks on their barrels-Small & Large,so you will need to know what size the Action accepts in order to buy an Aftermarket/Custom barrel.
If I remember correctly,the Target actions and all of the Short Magnum caliber actions are Large shank barrels.
Almost all standard calibers use Small shank barrels and actions.

Depending on the components that you choose to use,you can build your own rifle well under the price of a Savage Custom Shop rifle,and it will probably shoot as good if not better.

Here's a link explaining how to install a barrel on a Savage action-
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/swapping-barrels-savage-70590/

Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

They are not a custom rifle business, You know that. Buy the action then get the barrel profile and lenght you want from shilen and stock from ether boyds or better yet from mcmillian. bolt it to gether and go shooting.

The action you can buy from a lgs, barrels are more than avalible from many surces , shilen, eabco for best prices.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

The easiest way to get a pretty good long range rifle is to by the "F" class model from Savage. The6.5 Creedmoor is a pretty good choice. The savage trigger is good. The stock comes from Boyds and is also a decent piece. The only immediate requirement would be to properly glass bed the action into the stock.
To build a custom rifle in the same configuration would cost considerably more than the Savage but you could end up with a better performing rifle. On the other hand, after you wear out the first barrel on the Savage, you can upgrade with a top quality barrel (fitted without the nut)and an aftermarket recoil lug and you will be on your way. You may also have a second barrel fitted in 308 and a third for 6BR and you will be covered for any target shooting occasion.
Eschewing the Savage barrel nut makes the changing of barrel much simpler. There is no need for headspace gauges or a wrench for the nut. Headspace is set by the gunsmith when the barrel is fitted and chambered. From then on. it is screwed in tight and the headspace is fine.
The Savage action, while not up there with custom actions, is a pretty decent platform upon which to build.
I like the laminated stocks just fine and most of my rifles have them but the fiberglass stocks are less afected by weather or humidity. When it is raining, I usually use the rifle with the McMillan stock just because I feel more confident in it.
It would be difficult to build a rifle configured like the Savage for less than 2000 dollars unless you got the action as a gift. GD