Precision shooting, factory ammo questions... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Precision shooting, factory ammo questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

The difference is often exaggerated by the manufacturers (and the media writers virtually on their payroll). I failed to see the difference more often than not, after spending my buck on the golden diamond platinum bs. You will however see the difference in the POI. The smaller the cal, the more the difference. But that's a matter of adjusting your sights.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #12

Liked 1018 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1590

This might be a dumb question...But thats never stopped me before..... What kind of ammo is used by our Military Snipers to land a head shot hundreds of yards away.... Is it a handload, high end factory stuff, or....????. Always wondered about this. Good bet one of you guys posting in this thread will know the answer..............

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #13
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7112 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 14390

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
What kind of ammo is used by our Military Snipers to land a head shot hundreds of yards away....
What are your plans?

No offense and none taken
People Like This 
Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
This might be a dumb question...But thats never stopped me before..... What kind of ammo is used by our Military Snipers to land a head shot hundreds of yards away.... Is it a handload, high end factory stuff, or....????. Always wondered about this. Good bet one of you guys posting in this thread will know the answer..............
The army has it's own manufacturing facility for ammo that is impossible to buy. The army doesn't produce ammo unless they have no choice. Most of those long shots are made with a 50 cal BMG or a 338 Lapua mag. There is no cheap ammo for those calibers.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

It depends on your rifle. Some rifles will shoot the "cheap stuff" very well. The "premium" ammo is loaded with better bullets. Better bullets have more consistant weights and concentricity. It may give better terminal performance.

Do manufacturers "overstate" the benefits? Perhaps. Why do gasoline refiners claim their 93 octane is "better" than 87 octane? Running premium gas in a regular car give ZERO benefit aside from making your wallet thinner.

For accuracy, there are some loads proven to be "better". Federal Gold Medal Match .308 is the standard by which all others are judged. Is it the "best"? In some guns, it may well be the best. In other rifles, Hornady TAP may be "better". Some guns love the old tech Remington Core-lockt ammo. Some shoot shotgun like groups with it

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

Quote:
I saw a show on the History Channel once that showed Marines hand loading rounds for their rifle team. Each load was specifically worked up for the individual rifle and shooter. I don't remember if they loaded for their snipers or not.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
I use the Super X and the core locks. So far the federal has been the best, but it also costs $4 more a box. A box of the Winchester costs about $20.
In the past whenever I bought a new rifle the first thing I would do is buy a box of Winchester Super X, Remington Core Lock, and the plain old blue box Federals and try all three. Which ever the gun liked best is what I shot in it. All three killed a lot of deer for me with no problems what so ever. I reload now but I wouldn't think twice about going back to any one of those three. And if I didn't reload I would still be shooting those three. For me I can't see paying the difference for the premium bullets even if the premium bullets performed better. Of those three I would expect one to group around 1 MOA. I could probably get under 1 MOA if I tried different premium bullets and have done that in the past while trying different rounds. That little bit of gain in accuracy looks good on paper but is irrelevant for hunting.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I am required to shoot factory match ammo through my precision rifle. I serve as my agencies precision marksman; reloads/handloads are strictly forbidden for legal/liability reasons. However, Federal Gold Medal Match is great stuff. Granted, the shooter must possess the skills and knowledge to obtain the type of accuracy a match-grade rifle and ammo are capable of. Bottom line...spend the money of match-grade or learn the finer points of hand loading your own target ammo.

This group was fired at 200 yards through a Remington 700P with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain. I've held better than half MOA accuracy with that combo out past 800 yards. imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1402648293.969230.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1402648341.567982.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk