precision rifle? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > precision rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
I have found in my various endeavors that if I have questions that the best place to ask is where there are the largest number of people who participate successfully in that endeavor.
These have been two of the most helpful sites when the subject is precision rifles. Be for warned they can be a little harsh at times.

sniper central forums
Sniper's Hide Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
It is also bad manners to send members to other forums as well.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #32

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
I was looking at the rifle in either 7mm rum, or 300 rum. I would also love to have controled round feeding, but it is really hard to find just the action. I've looked everywhere and have not found a winchester pre 64, or the newer winchester controlled fed action. I've even looked at finding a ruger action, but have come up with nothing. Do you guys kno where i can find any controlled round feeding actions?
Either caliber will do well for longer ranges but you will have an issue with finding factory loaded match ammo. Black Hills and others make great .300 Win Mag Match ammo so a rifle chambered in that caiber will be easy to feed. But if your intentions are to reload then any suitable caliber will do.

If you are really set on a controled feed action look for a used FN which is basically a new Winchjester action gun. I find them here and there for just a hair over $1k. IIRC they won the contract for the FBI HRT.

Kimber also makes a nice controled feed tactical gun.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #33

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
I have found in my various endeavors that if I have questions that the best place to ask is where there are the largest number of people who participate successfully in that endeavor.
These have been two of the most helpful sites when the subject is precision rifles. Be for warned they can be a little harsh at times.

sniper central forums
Sniper's Hide Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
Understand that everyone has their pet weapons, and they will almost always make their stand in regards to that weapon that they like. When there are many good weapons and bad ones out there.

On this board you will find a lot of old knowledge and many who actually live this. My self I have used these weapons in actual combat in the wars we have had sense Vietnam through the first gulf war.

Not to mention that we also have long time gunsmiths on the board who have, are, and will work on these weapons, along with many who have and some who still do shoot long range.

I know one of the boards you posted a link to and am a member of that board as well as other boards. I will not give them a plug here good or bad sense this is not my board just as I will not plug this board on the other one unless they say it is OK to do so.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #34

I do plan on reloading so buying ammo is no problem. I may also go with a 338 winchester, there are just sdo many options i dont know which caliber to go with. Can you guys suggest a few calibers that will carry enough energy at 600 to 700yds to drop a deer?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #35

.308, 30-06, 300 win mag, just a few off the top of my head but there are many more.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #36

Do you think a 338 win mag would drop an elk at those ranges?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #37

Yes I do and its a good round