precision rifle? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > precision rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Info on cartridge:
.338 Lapua Sniping
Rifles:
Military .338 Lapua Magnum Rifles Compared, the SAKO TRG-42 and AI-AWSM

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You can get them from a few custom gun makers.

If you want 338 Laupa performance in a Remmy 700 action you are going to need the 338 Edge. It is the 300RUM necked up to a 338 cal.

The 338 Edge is said to be the poor mans 338 Laupa. 338 Edge - History and Development

Old 03-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #23

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

They would have been much better off to use a model 70 action I believe. But they cost more and well are not that easy to work with as the remmy action. No action is perfect. But there are many much better actions out there than remingtons. There are actions out there based on remington's 700 but blow it out of the water. The Surgon action is one of them.

There are so many remingtons out there because they can pump them out like a the dugars pump out kids.
Curious, why would they have been better off using a Winchester action? More accurate? More durable? More realiable? I mean, in your own words they cost more and are not that easy to work with (and I agree with THAT)... Just saying...

Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 AM   #24

Today i did some more looking and found the remington 700 sendero sf II. I think this is a very nice rifle, with a good start on what i want. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
Today i did some more looking and found the remington 700 sendero sf II. I think this is a very nice rifle, with a good start on what i want. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle?
The Sendero SF is one of Remington nicest production rifles and a great start on your goal. Whith the right caliber and scope you can cerytainly beging to master the basics of long range shooting and decide if it's a game that you want to go full bore into.

What caliber are you looking at?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #26

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

When the SHTF and lead is flyin you want something that is rock solid. The Model 70 Pre 64 type was a much better, stronger, more accurate action than any factory remington action could be. Plus when your in combat you need things that just don't break. A control round feed actions is a better action for a military sniper action. You have a more controlled loading and unloading of the round. As everyone will tell you one of remingtons week points is the extractor and they are known to be weak. That is why so many people have a sako extractor installed on them. I am sure if the snipers could build any gun they wanted it sure wouldn't be a remington 700 action.

If you are going to buy a gun and strip it down to the action you would be better off buying just an action or buying a cheap remington like a SPS long action. No sense in paying $800 for a rifle that is exactly the same as a $600 one.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
When the SHTF and lead is flyin you want something that is rock solid. The Model 70 Pre 64 type was a much better, stronger, more accurate action than any factory remington action could be. Plus when your in combat you need things that just don't break. A control round feed actions is a better action for a military sniper action. You have a more controlled loading and unloading of the round. As everyone will tell you one of remingtons week points is the extractor and they are known to be weak. That is why so many people have a sako extractor installed on them. I am sure if the snipers could build any gun they wanted it sure wouldn't be a remington 700 action.

If you are going to buy a gun and strip it down to the action you would be better off buying just an action or buying a cheap remington like a SPS long action. No sense in paying $800 for a rifle that is exactly the same as a $600 one.
I can't think of ANY sniper rifle currently in use by any military that is a controlled feed action...

The Sendero he is looking at already comes bedded into a HS Precision stock. It also has a better grade 26" heavy fluted barrel. That is worth the price difference between it and the SPS. Simple math.

Oh yeah, Sako extractors on Remington bolts are a must...... for your gunsmith that want to charge you extra for a useless feature.

Last edited by Wambli; 03-12-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #28

I was looking at the rifle in either 7mm rum, or 300 rum. I would also love to have controled round feeding, but it is really hard to find just the action. I've looked everywhere and have not found a winchester pre 64, or the newer winchester controlled fed action. I've even looked at finding a ruger action, but have come up with nothing. Do you guys kno where i can find any controlled round feeding actions?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The Montana mod 1999. Basically a pre '64 winchester, with some minor improvements.
The ones my smith had were beautiful ,all steel and smooth as silk

Montana Rifle Company
MRC Actions
Brownells sells them, you might find cheaper elsewhere. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27125/Product/MODEL_1999_BOLT_ACTION_RECEIVER
You'll have to cut and paste the Brownells link.
I should of bought 10 of them when I could have for <$400

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry. Will not happen again.It was not my intention to offend any one.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 03-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.