precision rifle? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

precision rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Or perhaps a tikka t3 varmint?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #12

Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

There is a big difference between an 800 yard rifle, and a 1500 yard rifle. I would want to have at least $3200.00 for a 1500 yard rifle. Hell, I'm happy w/ 400..600 yards these days.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #13

Liked 1318 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 635

If you are wanting to shoot anywhere near 1K yrds,forget about the short magnums. Most long range shots are with heavier bullets 190-220gr and the short magnums weren't made for them.
There are many calibers that will shoot long range,but to be accurate it takes a lot of practice,time,and money. There are few off the rack guns that would do it with any accuracy,and almost no factory ammo for the chore. Most long range shooters handload their ammo,have custom actions/work to factory ones,and custom barrels for the particular caliber.

Optics are a whole other thing when it comes to long ranges,get the best you can afford.There are few scopes that have the adjustability for long ranges,and most are very expensive. It seems you have a thing for Leupold's,but do a little research and you will find several scopes that are better for less money and several that are way better for a little more.

Do your homework,and you will only spend money once. Check out this sight,and you can find out some good info on long range shooting.

LongRangeHunting.com Online Magazine and Forums

Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #14

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Even being the local Remington Fanboy. Your not shooting 1500 yards with a 700 action unless you do lots of work to it.

Building a 1k rifle is not just slapping a stock on a remy700 and puting a fancy scope on it. That may get you some hits on 12x12' target but your not going to do any good with that.

For a long range stick your looking at $1500 +$500 just to make a factory remmy action into a half way decent one for the job. you best bet is going to be get a stiller viper action (based on the 700) then put that into a good mcmillian or SG&Y stock.

gotta leave will post more now.
Oh, I agree with you 100% but I guess my brain just works on the assumption that most folks who show up asking about a 1,000+ yard gun and want to go cheap have never actually seen, OR for that matter will ever set foot on a 1,000 yards range. Never mind ever hitting anything that far.

It's funny that there seems to be someone here trying to find a cheap long range rig every 5 minutes. None of them seem to understand how freakin' difficult it is to shoot past a few hundred yards accurately (regardless of equipment). None of them talk about the intense training it takes to learn how to either.

So instead of debating them, my recomendation is for a fun plinker that should be MOA or better with store bought match ammo and take you out to 4-500 yards and you can always use it for informal target work or hunting when you figure out you can't even see the targets at the range you asked to shoot at in the first place.

Ps. to the original poster, there is a reason "everyone" has Remington actions on long range guns. The military figured out that reason a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago with their M24 and M40s. It is the easiest action to make accurate enough to do what you are asking to do...

Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #15

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Oh, I agree with you 100% but I guess my brain just works on the assumption that most folks who show up asking about a 1,000+ yard gun and want to go cheap have never actually seen, OR for that matter will ever set foot on a 1,000 yards range. Never mind ever hitting anything that far.

It's funny that there seems to be someone here trying to find a cheap long range rig every 5 minutes. None of them seem to understand how freakin' difficult it is to shoot past a few hundred yards accurately (regardless of equipment). None of them talk about the intense training it takes to learn how to either.

So instead of debating them, my recomendation is for a fun plinker that should be MOA or better with store bought match ammo and take you out to 4-500 yards and you can always use it for informal target work or hunting when you figure out you can't even see the targets at the range you asked to shoot at in the first place.

Ps. to the original poster, there is a reason "everyone" has Remington actions on long range guns. The military figured out that reason a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago with their M24 and M40s. It is the easiest action to make accurate enough to do what you are asking to do...
The military uses them because they got them the cheapest. The only things that make a Remington action easer to work on is the fact that it is a round action and it is a tad softer than many other actions.

They would have been much better off to use a model 70 action I believe. But they cost more and well are not that easy to work with as the remmy action. No action is perfect. But there are many much better actions out there than remingtons. There are actions out there based on remington's 700 but blow it out of the water. The Surgon action is one of them.

There are so many remingtons out there because they can pump them out like a the dugars pump out kids.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
As far as Howa rifles go, it is very hard to find them here in Alberta, or Canada for that matter. What about weatherby vanguards?
The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa action, it is built by Howa for Weatherby with a few very subtle changes and remarketed for Weatherby in their Vanguard line. You are basically getting the same great rifle action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
Or perhaps a tikka t3 varmint?
Nothing wrong with Tikka, except they are owned by Beretta now. I don't think they have as much control over their product, especially R&D, as they had a few years ago. They are still putting out a very good product, but I don't think they are cutting edge anymore. And you are paying some extra dough for the name and the marketing that comes with being under the Beretta Holding Umbrella....

And no, the 700 action is not even close to the best factory action out there. It is very popular because Remington produced them cheap, saturated the market and spend billions on advertising promoting them.

They are popular because everyone can work on them, every possible part or add on is available, practically at your local 7-11, and everyone knows someone who has one and it shoots "one hole all day long".

Now, when the Remington MPD action and stock hit the civilian market, you guys are going to flip your lids because it is that much of a step forward. But right now the only folks getting to play with that masterpiece are the US Military.

I can assure you though, Tango will sell his soul to Glock for one of these rifles when he gets a chance to see one up close and personal.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #17

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I like my Howa and new scope, so I will stay with it for a while until I hit the lottery then I'll get something else

Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Accuracy Int. .338 Lapua Mag

Bud's Gunshop - Barret M98 338 Lapua Mag

Sako TRG42 .338 Lapua Mag

http://www.vandykerifles.com/tactical-supermag-338 Lapua Mag.htm

Bud's Gunshop - Armalite AR30 in .338 Lapua Mag

hmmmm...seems to be a trend there. But a great start...and oh yeah, it only gets more expensive from here.

Slo

Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In my humble opinion, try a little more money in the pot. My primary long range weapon is a Sako TRG22. Everything on the rifle is adjustable to what fits me, and it's Very accurate to 1000 yds (if I do my part). You can upgrade optics as you progress in experience and find what you truly need. I like US Optics, good clean sight picture and guananteed for life they will take one hell of a beating and keep going. The 338 Lampua is an incredable round the only problem is cost, rounds are expensive(even reloads) barrel life is very short, and it can be hard on the shooter. I thought about all this when I chose a 308 over the 338. My rig cost me about $5000 anyway just some thoughts. snubshooter OUT

Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #20

Ive heard a lot of good things about the 338 lapua, can anyone tell me who makes these rifles, and what kind of recoil to expect?