Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > PRACTICAL accuracy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5084 Times on 2891 Posts
Likes Given: 4244

About 90 percent of the rounds that I fire in practice are offhand or offhand with field expedient rest.

A good low cost drill I use often is to throw out a handful of spent 12 or 20 gs, shotshells and "keep then rolling" with the 10-022. sounds ceasy, but..........

My thought is that if I can hit the target standing, then shooting from kneeling or sitting is a piece of cake..

Prone is very seldom practical in the hunting fields, so I use it very little. Besides, if I have time to get into a sling and go prone, I have time to stalk closer.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just be aware that when shooting on steep grades that there is a slight problem.No,not referring to the up and down,gravity phenom.....that's well known.

It's how trees grow out from a slope.We see it when shooting instinctively with bows.I've always been told(confided with,serious national and world champion field archers)to lean your upper limb "into" the mountain.The slope/trees will play tricks on the brain when shooting "sideways".Harder to describe than to show or demonstrate in the filed.It may not show up when using a scoped rifle(single plane)but is at issue when using irons.You basically aren't holding rifle level.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5084 Times on 2891 Posts
Likes Given: 4244

Shooting up or down hill is another one of those things that ya gotta "learn by doing."

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

JimRau Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Locutus,It's very true. Most people that shoot sub-moa groups off a bench probably couldn't hit an eight inch pie plate at 200 yards off hand because they never practice doing it.
It takes a lot of practice field shooting in real conditions to come close to anything you can do off bags and a bench.
I will try to use a rest of some kind and not shoot off hand at game, however I can hit a moving target off hand better than I can a stationary one!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
About 90 percent of the rounds that I fire in practice are offhand or offhand with field expedient rest.

A good low cost drill I use often is to throw out a handful of spent 12 or 20 gs, shotshells and "keep then rolling" with the 10-022. sounds ceasy, but..........

My thought is that if I can hit the target standing, then shooting from kneeling or sitting is a piece of cake..

Prone is very seldom practical in the hunting fields, so I use it very little. Besides, if I have time to get into a sling and go prone, I have time to stalk closer.
Prone comes in very handy here for power lines and gas lines. Those are the most common places to get a long range shot here, but you better be ready when a buck steps out because he won't be there long.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I will try to use a rest of some kind and not shoot off hand at game, however I can hit a moving target off hand better than I can a stationary one!
I truly believe a lot of people could if they only knew how far ahead of the target to aim.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #17

Liked 2411 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

I embarrass myself so badly each time I

go to the range, I don't see any point in

over-confirming in the field that which I

already know so well...

Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #18

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I use a rest when I test loads for accuracy and when Im checking a rifle's accuracy. All of my shooting is done the way pop and Uncle Sam taught me. That's the way I teach my kids. I grew up Quail hunting so being able to move and hit a moving target was a must. I also use a grip pod on some of my rifles which helps in many shooting situations.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #19

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Hiking and shooting in the high country is great practice for the fall hunting seasons. Shooting Rock Deer and Stump Elk up in the high meadows also allows for scouting out future hunting areas.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Hiking and shooting in the high country is great practice for the fall hunting seasons. Shooting Rock Deer and Stump Elk up in the high meadows also allows for scouting out future hunting areas.
Is it light enough 'at the edge of darkness' to do that????

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!