Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > PRACTICAL accuracy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

Default PRACTICAL accuracy.

There are many ways to determine this, I guess. I'll share mine.

I like to go off into the woods or mountains and hike with my hunting rifle on my shoulder.

I'll spot a stump, or a notch in a dead tree, at 250-350 yards (by gusstimate,)

Raise the rifle and fire. Use a tree or boulder to rest the forearm against if possible. Fire 5 shots.

Now I get the range finder out and range in the actual distance.

Then go down and measure the group size.

WHOAA!!! My 1/2 MOA rifle/load is now a 4 MOA rifle load.

Do this when you're hiking alone. It can be embarrassing!

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Locutus,

Wind, Light and Mirage also can cause this easily at 250-300 yards. And certainly the caliber is effected by the wind. What caliber you speaking of?
5.56 is much more vulnerable than say a 30 cal round.
I have been at sniper school and seen 7 different range flags blowing 7 different ways in 600 yards. Add to that peaks and ridges and thermal winds in a valley and there you go!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 04-30-2013 at 08:00 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Locutus,

Wind, Light and Mirage also can cause this easily at 250-300 yards. And certainly the caliber is effected by the wind. What caliber you speaking of?
I have been at sniper school and seen 7 different range flags blowing 7 different ways in 600 yards. Add to that peaks and ridges and thermal winds in a valley and there you go!
I have been doing something similar to what you do for MANY years. I taught my sons to shot under 'field conditions' this way. I call it 'rock hunting'!! In the mountains of CO there are A LOT of rocks, so I would pick out one and try to estimate the distance and hit it first shot under real field conditions as if it were the KZ on a game animal. It is a real eye opener to those who try it.

Sorry, I meant to quote locutus!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 04-30-2013 at 08:57 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Locutus,

Usually using a bolt Win. 70 .30-06 with hand loads. 6X Swarovski scope.

I found that whenever I get a little "cocky" about my marksmanship skills, this returns me to reality quickly!

Without the flags and without using the range finder makes it a challenge. But it's a good drill, It sure makes me believe that all the time and effort I expended learning to stalk was well worth the effort!

Jim, I taught my son the same way in Wyoming. We've got lotsa rocks too.
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5690 Times on 3341 Posts
Likes Given: 4847

Save the rocks; practice on bears and wolves.

Yes, my friends and I do much the same when plinking, though not at such distances.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 05-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

locutus,

That is great practice and a learning experience being in the field and not stationary with bags on a good bench. We neither, always used range flags but it sure taught us a lot about the winds capabilities and was used as a training tool. And as you said to prove to us no matter how good you think you might be mother nature has an abundance of factors that can KYA! Of course a little different between using Duplex Reticules to range on a hunting scope compared to Mil-Dot Scope. But they can be used for basic range estimation. With the Mils we used the 27.8 formula. Better than the old long formula where you needed a math degree to correctly estimate. But as I said, even with the 30 cal round with a full value 10+ MPH wind you can be an inch off at 100 yds.. So out in the field at 250-350 the wind can have a different effect on each round depending on the wind and the wonderful field rest you have.
Have fun! Keep Shooting! How is the weather in the Big Sky Country today! Finally getting warm in TN.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1001 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Locutus,It's very true. Most people that shoot sub-moa groups off a bench probably couldn't hit an eight inch pie plate at 200 yards off hand because they never practice doing it.
It takes a lot of practice field shooting in real conditions to come close to anything you can do off bags and a bench.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 924 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Locutus,It's very true. Most people that shoot sub-moa groups off a bench probably couldn't hit an eight inch pie plate at 200 yards off hand because they never practice doing it.
It takes a lot of practice field shooting in real conditions to come close to anything you can do off bags and a bench.
I couldn't agree more.

After I get a gun dialed in and shooting the best I can get it I make it a point to shot from various positions at the range from then on (standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone). And it is humbling to take a rifle that you know is driving tacks and all of sudden you're shooting all over the place because you got rid of the bench. Can't blame the gun at that point - and that's knowing the yardage.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've found that around 200 yds is my comfort zone when standing, and up to about 300 if I have a rest (tree limb or something). I usually get sighted in on a bench and then try and practice how I would really shoot before hunting season. It always sucks, cause I'm terrible at guessing distance.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

For a hunting gun the only shot that matters is the first shot(in field conditions).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

therewolf Likes This