Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   PRACTICAL accuracy. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/practical-accuracy-89855/)

locutus 04-30-2013 07:11 PM

PRACTICAL accuracy.

There are many ways to determine this, I guess. I'll share mine.

I like to go off into the woods or mountains and hike with my hunting rifle on my shoulder.

I'll spot a stump, or a notch in a dead tree, at 250-350 yards (by gusstimate,:D)

Raise the rifle and fire. Use a tree or boulder to rest the forearm against if possible. Fire 5 shots.

Now I get the range finder out and range in the actual distance.

Then go down and measure the group size.

WHOAA!!! My 1/2 MOA rifle/load is now a 4 MOA rifle load.

Do this when you're hiking alone. It can be embarrassing!:o:o

Sniper03 04-30-2013 07:57 PM

Locutus,

Wind, Light and Mirage also can cause this easily at 250-300 yards. And certainly the caliber is effected by the wind. What caliber you speaking of?
5.56 is much more vulnerable than say a 30 cal round.
I have been at sniper school and seen 7 different range flags blowing 7 different ways in 600 yards. Add to that peaks and ridges and thermal winds in a valley and there you go!

JimRau 04-30-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1232280)
Locutus,

Wind, Light and Mirage also can cause this easily at 250-300 yards. And certainly the caliber is effected by the wind. What caliber you speaking of?
I have been at sniper school and seen 7 different range flags blowing 7 different ways in 600 yards. Add to that peaks and ridges and thermal winds in a valley and there you go!

I have been doing something similar to what you do for MANY years. I taught my sons to shot under 'field conditions' this way. I call it 'rock hunting'!! In the mountains of CO there are A LOT of rocks, so I would pick out one and try to estimate the distance and hit it first shot under real field conditions as if it were the KZ on a game animal. It is a real eye opener to those who try it.:D

Sorry, I meant to quote locutus!!:o

locutus 04-30-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1232280)
Locutus,

Usually using a bolt Win. 70 .30-06 with hand loads. 6X Swarovski scope.

I found that whenever I get a little "cocky" about my marksmanship skills, this returns me to reality quickly!:o

Without the flags and without using the range finder makes it a challenge. But it's a good drill, It sure makes me believe that all the time and effort I expended learning to stalk was well worth the effort! :D

Jim, I taught my son the same way in Wyoming. We've got lotsa rocks too.:p

orangello 04-30-2013 10:27 PM

Save the rocks; practice on bears and wolves.

Yes, my friends and I do much the same when plinking, though not at such distances.

Sniper03 05-01-2013 12:53 AM

locutus,

That is great practice and a learning experience being in the field and not stationary with bags on a good bench. We neither, always used range flags but it sure taught us a lot about the winds capabilities and was used as a training tool. And as you said to prove to us no matter how good you think you might be mother nature has an abundance of factors that can KYA! ;) Of course a little different between using Duplex Reticules to range on a hunting scope compared to Mil-Dot Scope. But they can be used for basic range estimation. With the Mils we used the 27.8 formula. Better than the old long formula where you needed a math degree to correctly estimate. But as I said, even with the 30 cal round with a full value 10+ MPH wind you can be an inch off at 100 yds.. So out in the field at 250-350 the wind can have a different effect on each round depending on the wind and the wonderful field rest you have.:D
Have fun! Keep Shooting! How is the weather in the Big Sky Country today! Finally getting warm in TN.

Txhillbilly 05-01-2013 01:19 AM

Locutus,It's very true. Most people that shoot sub-moa groups off a bench probably couldn't hit an eight inch pie plate at 200 yards off hand because they never practice doing it.
It takes a lot of practice field shooting in real conditions to come close to anything you can do off bags and a bench.

TLuker 05-01-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1232567)
Locutus,It's very true. Most people that shoot sub-moa groups off a bench probably couldn't hit an eight inch pie plate at 200 yards off hand because they never practice doing it.
It takes a lot of practice field shooting in real conditions to come close to anything you can do off bags and a bench.

I couldn't agree more. :)

After I get a gun dialed in and shooting the best I can get it I make it a point to shot from various positions at the range from then on (standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone). And it is humbling to take a rifle that you know is driving tacks and all of sudden you're shooting all over the place because you got rid of the bench. Can't blame the gun at that point - and that's knowing the yardage.

kalboy26 05-01-2013 05:07 AM

I've found that around 200 yds is my comfort zone when standing, and up to about 300 if I have a rest (tree limb or something). I usually get sighted in on a bench and then try and practice how I would really shoot before hunting season. It always sucks, cause I'm terrible at guessing distance.

hiwall 05-01-2013 01:01 PM

For a hunting gun the only shot that matters is the first shot(in field conditions).