Post a picture of your favorite rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Post a picture of your favorite rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah it took me 30 minutes to get that picture to look right

forumrunner_20120307_202729.jpg

Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont View Post
how much did it cost you to put that suppressor on it
Nothing, it came like that from the gun store. Had one previous owner who had a smith cut the threads, then he only shot it for a month and traded it in for a T3 Sporter.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post
I'd give a nut for that rifle. A kidney too. Blood type o positive. Just sayin. Ever sense I saw Dirty Harry shoot one at the crazy hippie I've been hooked. What if an elephant got loose? Scout motto "Be Prepared."

What year was it built?

I'm confident saying no one will top that. I love your rifle.
I ordered it in mid 1986 shortly after i turned 18 got it in spring of 1987. Was on a 6 month backorder. I know the gunshop owner KNEW i was going to hate it and he would get a smoking deal on a bring back... he was soooooooo wrong.

There are a few out there i see em now and then but most have very few rounds through em. A lot of people bought them because of dirty harry i bought it because im an avid reader and im fascinated by turn of the century african big game hunting safaris and all that. Double rifles were and still are more moola than im willing to part with. But the model 70 african was pure american and still in the spirit of a old time big game rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
How far can u reach with it accurately?

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
Its pretty flat out to 200yards with full charged 350 and 300 grain loads. It starts losing steam at 450 and becomes rainbowish. Furthest ive shot it with consistant hits was 800 yards on a elk sized steel target. With 525grain loads its a 250yardish gun before it really loses steam.

Its one of the most versatile rounds there is as you can duplicate the ballistics of the older 45-70 and 45-120 or exceed that and those were long range rounds. I can and have used blackpowder in it along with saboted .308 rounds. It shoots lead rounds and with access to tungsten cored bullets for cape buffalo and rhino its something else.

I dont think there is a hunting situation you couldnt have a ready load for.

Ive toyed with the idea of reaming it out for 458lott but cant bring myself to do it. I want to trade out the vx7 for a 1-4x nightforce or equivelent.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 03-08-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #24

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

I ordered it in mid 1986 shortly after i turned 18 got it in spring of 1987. Was on a 6 month backorder. I know the gunshop owner KNEW i was going to hate it and he would get a smoking deal on a bring back... he was soooooooo wrong.

There are a few out there i see em now and then but most have very few rounds through em. A lot of people bought them because of dirty harry i bought it because im an avid reader and im fascinated by turn of the century african big game hunting safaris and all that. Double rifles were and still are more moola than im willing to part with. But the model 70 african was pure american and still in the spirit of a old time big game rifle

Its pretty flat out to 200yards with full charged 350 and 300 grain loads. It starts losing steam at 450 and becomes rainbowish. Furthest ive shot it with consistant hits was 800 yards on a elk sized steel target. With 525grain loads its a 250yardish gun before it really loses steam.

Its one of the most versatile rounds there is as you can duplicate the ballistics of the older 45-70 and 45-120 or exceed that and those were long range rounds. I can and have used blackpowder in it along with saboted .308 rounds. It shoots lead rounds and with access to tungsten cored bullets for cape buffalo and rhino its something else.

I dont think there is a hunting situation you couldnt have a ready load for.

Ive toyed with the idea of reaming it out for 458lott but cant bring myself to do it.
Ya but if u look at it this way and I may be wrong but can't u shoot the 458win mag out of a 458 Lott so wouldnt that be a plus?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is it CRF? I thought it looked like it in the pic, but I'm on my phone so...

I'm into the old African cartridges as well. My buddy got me started on Mark Sullivan DVD's. The guy is insane and I question his ethics, but he has nice rifles and he can shoot. I doubt I'd have caught that Dirty Harry used a .458 if I hadn't been drooling over them already.

You probably hear this a lot but, I'll say it anyway. Nice rifle.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #26

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have a few "favorites", but my LRB M25 is one of them.

Post a picture of your favorite rifle - General Rifle Discussion

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here's my favorite, it's a Remington 700 .308 VTR. The stock is original, the color of the stock is called Desert Recon, and it came that way from Remi. It also has a triangular barrel and an integrated muzzle brake. It's mounted with a junk broken scope until I can get a new one (I haven't shot it in over a year), and a Harris bipod.
image-2608739116.jpg   image-1910502622.jpg   image-3831101396.jpg  

Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
Ya but if u look at it this way and I may be wrong but can't u shoot the 458win mag out of a 458 Lott so wouldnt that be a plus?

Yeah you can. But i dont really want to alter it. Ive got a cz550 in 458 lott. Amazing trigger its a set trigger but the thing is very long and very heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post
Is it CRF? I thought it looked like it in the pic, but I'm on my phone so...

I'm into the old African cartridges as well. My buddy got me started on Mark Sullivan DVD's. The guy is insane and I question his ethics, but he has nice rifles and he can shoot. I doubt I'd have caught that Dirty Harry used a .458 if I hadn't been drooling over them already.

You probably hear this a lot but, I'll say it anyway. Nice rifle.
CRF??

Thanks, it looks better in real life than pics portray
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #29

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:

Yeah you can. But i dont really want to alter it. Ive got a cz550 in 458 lott. Amazing trigger its a set trigger but the thing is very long and very heavy.

CRF??

Alright so there really ain't no need to mess with it then

Old 03-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

CRF??

Controlled round feed. As in the pre 64 "Mauser" type action with the claw extractor. I dig those. Not that the newer ones were bad, just like the older better.