Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Post pics of your arsenal....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

It's no wonder the boat sunk with all that weight,I'm thinking of buying a deep diving bell. Need some GPS numbers.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #122
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5254 Times on 2740 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Very nice, but the 1905 is for the Springfield and Garand. Yours is in nice shape. They were blued after WW1, so the ones in the white sneaked through arsenal refurbs for quite a while. What's it dated?

And your scabbard is a repro, but whoever made it created a pattern that was never used. IMA usually has a couple of types that are correct.
totally spaced checking that sorry it took so long but the a303 bayonet is stamped 1918. the scabbard i believe is original issue it was the best one annd is wood covered in canvas the canvas shows a lot of age but im no expert. it seems to fall in this guildline. ive never had a real expert look at it.

Quote:
MODEL 1905 BAYONET, WWI-Era: Originally designed for M1903 and M1917 US Rifles, this was first type to see use on the Garand. They usually came with a canvas covered, wooden scabbard. The bayonet had a bright blade until about 1917, after which they were parkerized. Later, during WWII, almost all of the earlier "bright blade" 1905 bayonets were parkerized too since it cut down on reflection in combat. These are very hard to find and are very collectable. The blade was 16" in length and each bayonet had its own serial number, along with a manufacturer's name or code and date stamp. The grips were made of wood.
i may take it to one of the military collectors shows around here next month and see if i can find an expert. whether the scabbard is correct or repro the blade is why i bought it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #123

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
totally spaced checking that sorry it took so long but the a303 bayonet is stamped 1918. the scabbard i believe is original issue it was the best one annd is wood covered in canvas the canvas shows a lot of age but im no expert. it seems to fall in this guildline. ive never had a real expert look at it.

i may take it to one of the military collectors shows around here next month and see if i can find an expert. whether the scabbard is correct or repro the blade is why i bought it.
No sweat, Jon.

The second quote above is incorrect. The 1917 used a modified British Enfield 1907 bayonet. The Springfield used the 1905, which also fit the M1 Garand. And the 1905 blades were blued after WW1.

I'll take another look at the scabbard. Can you post a better pic?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #124
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ill take a better pic tonite but im no great shakes at it. ill take a pic both sides. but i dunno if that scabbard is right but the leather and canvas is definately old. i just picked it out of a box of scabbards.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #125
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
No sweat, Jon.

The second quote above is incorrect. The 1917 used a modified British Enfield 1907 bayonet. The Springfield used the 1905, which also fit the M1 Garand. And the 1905 blades were blued after WW1.

I'll take another look at the scabbard. Can you post a better pic?
the scabbard is a repro its just an old repro. while i was failing at taking good pics i noticed the metal pieces were modern make.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the scabbard is a repro its just an old repro. while i was failing at taking good pics i noticed the metal pieces were modern make.
That hanger is a style that was never USGI. There were several variants of 1905 scabbards that evolved. First was the wood covered with rawhide and stitched smooth leather that had the Krag hanger. That one evolved into the same style with a wire hanger, (like yours but wire hooks instead of a leather loop.) Later they were canvas covered, and finally the green fiberglass used during WW2. Many variants in between.

IMA has some good repros that follow original patterns.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #127

Here's my arsenal. Nothing too special compared to some of these other posts. Hopefully I can keep it gowing though.

From the top:
ArmaLite AR-7
Marlin Glenfield Model 20
Mossberg Chuckster 640k
Winchester Ranger 120

20110106231200.jpg  

Last edited by jgand72; 01-07-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
Here's my arsenal. Nothing too special compared to some of these other posts. Hopefully I can keep it gowing though.

From the top:
ArmaLite AR-7
Marlin Glenfield Model 20
Mossberg Chuckster 640k
Winchester Ranger 120
Is that an early AR-7? I had an old, orig Armalite AR-7 almost 30 years ago and loved it. The newer ones don't compare.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #129

Quote:
Is that an early AR-7? I had an old, orig Armalite AR-7 almost 30 years ago and loved it. The newer ones don't compare.
Yep, it's an original. Had some jamming and feeding issues when i took it out, but I gave it a real good cleaning last night, so hopefully this weekend it'll be alright.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
Yep, it's an original. Had some jamming and feeding issues when i took it out, but I gave it a real good cleaning last night, so hopefully this weekend it'll be alright.
I got lucky with mine. It worked pretty well with most types of ammo.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI