Possible trade
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Possible trade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Possible trade

I just bought a Smith and Wesson 686 6" .357 only because it was a smokin hot deal. I had planned to get a bolt action next but I haven't settled on which caliber. A guy at work has a Winchester 70 in .270 and wants a revolver real bad. I'm not sure I want .270. I've been told .300 win mag is a great round along with .243. I'm also looking to start reloading so that's another factor I need to consider.

What say you guys?

The 686 has had a trigger job, less than 50 rounds through it, two speed loader, the original box from 1990ish, the original wood grip and hogue rubber grip, and a carry sleeve. I really like the gun, but it was kind of too good an opportunity to pass up. I haven't seen the rifle yet but he tells me it's in good shape.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4349 Times on 2942 Posts
Likes Given: 2171

A pre-64 Winchester deserves consideration. The 270 is a premium hunting round, there are more common caliber choices for sports or home defense. Need to see it anyhow.

Last edited by Mercator; 05-18-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I agree. I want to see the rifle before a decision is made. I just want to make sure I get a fair trade, if I decide to.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

Liked 1314 Times on 742 Posts
Likes Given: 573

The .270 is a fine hunting round, I have a Ruger Model 77 in .270 win an it has filled many deer tags.

Are you going to shoot much beyond 300 yards? If not, a .300 mag is not worth it.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2478 Times on 1505 Posts
Likes Given: 13619

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpapa View Post
I just bought a Smith and Wesson 686 6" .357 only because it was a smokin hot deal. I had planned to get a bolt action next but I haven't settled on which caliber. A guy at work has a Winchester 70 in .270 and wants a revolver real bad. I'm not sure I want .270. I've been told .300 win mag is a great round along with .243. I'm also looking to start reloading so that's another factor I need to consider.

What say you guys?

The 686 has had a trigger job, less than 50 rounds through it, two speed loader, the original box from 1990ish, the original wood grip and hogue rubber grip, and a carry sleeve. I really like the gun, but it was kind of too good an opportunity to pass up. I haven't seen the rifle yet but he tells me it's in good shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
The .270 is a fine hunting round, I have a Ruger Model 77 in .270 win an it has filled many deer tags.

Are you going to shoot much beyond 300 yards? If not, a .300 mag is not worth it.
Have to agree with Gator on this one Zed.

My grandfather used to use a Winchester model 70 in .270 as his Sharpshooter rifle while he was in the NYSP. He used to pop Woodchucks at close to 300 yards with it to stay in shape if, God forbid, that call ever came.

You mentioned reloading. Like it's parent case, the well Known and loved .30-06, it is a versatile cartridge that can be loaded to take down whatever game you want to in a humane manner. My Savage 110 really shines in the 200 to 350 yard range, and it has taken out more chucks and coyotes than I can count, as well as 1 elk, and about a dozen deer in the 20 years I have had it. Can't say what a set of dies for it run, as my Lee set was bought with the riufle over 25 years ago by my dad, but the components are reasonable.

As to if it is a worthy trade, if you are happy and your friend is happy, that is the mark of a good trade. Monetarily, I can't tell you as an item is only worth what one is willing to pay for it, but I also don't know the age of the model 70. To me, if it is a pre-64, and the age of your 686 tells me it is per "Hillary Hole", I would trade if it is strictly an investment. To use it, I would keep the 686, Either way, if you take car of it, it is still a useable investment.

Tough call Brother.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am not sure about the investment part, Fox. Winchester has brought the pre-64 back in production, they are beautiful...
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Have to agree with Gator on this one Zed.

My grandfather used to use a Winchester model 70 in .270 as his Sharpshooter rifle while he was in the NYSP. He used to pop Woodchucks at close to 300 yards with it to stay in shape if, God forbid, that call ever came.

You mentioned reloading. Like it's parent case, the well Known and loved .30-06, it is a versatile cartridge that can be loaded to take down whatever game you want to in a humane manner. My Savage 110 really shines in the 200 to 350 yard range, and it has taken out more chucks and coyotes than I can count, as well as 1 elk, and about a dozen deer in the 20 years I have had it. Can't say what a set of dies for it run, as my Lee set was bought with the riufle over 25 years ago by my dad, but the components are reasonable.

As to if it is a worthy trade, if you are happy and your friend is happy, that is the mark of a good trade. Monetarily, I can't tell you as an item is only worth what one is willing to pay for it, but I also don't know the age of the model 70. To me, if it is a pre-64, and the age of your 686 tells me it is per "Hillary Hole", I would trade if it is strictly an investment. To use it, I would keep the 686, Either way, if you take car of it, it is still a useable investment.

Tough call Brother.
I think this is what I was looking to hear. Since I live in San Diego right now, hunting isn't really an option unless I travel. Since I don't have a lot of room for storage, I need to make my purchases count, both for now and for the future.

I asked some more about the rifle and it was made in early 2000's. What makes it a pre-64, besides the obvious? He wants this revolver bad, made a cash offer and then offered putting a new scope on the rifle to make a better trade.

One thing for sure, it's gonna be a tough decision.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That Smith and Wesson will sell ten times faster than the Winchester unless the rifle is an absolutely mint Super Grade in pre-64 years, which you said it was not. The six inch barrel revolver is perfect for hunting in lots of states, and you have a box and accessories too. It is a desirable handgun, but not necessarily a collectible.

Just breeze thru Gunbroker or Armslist for some pricing guides.

I can't say the .270 is the perfect round for jumping into reloading, but it is a fantastic round doing exactly what it was designed to do with the factory loadings available.

As mentioned above, do a deal that makes you comfortable. You can find excellent shooting 270 rifles all day for 300-500, but a Smith like that is not.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #9
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2478 Times on 1505 Posts
Likes Given: 13619

Quote:
I think this is what I was looking to hear. Since I live in San Diego right now, hunting isn't really an option unless I travel. Since I don't have a lot of room for storage, I need to make my purchases count, both for now and for the future.

I asked some more about the rifle and it was made in early 2000's. What makes it a pre-64, besides the obvious? He wants this revolver bad, made a cash offer and then offered putting a new scope on the rifle to make a better trade.

One thing for sure, it's gonna be a tough decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuryTheHatchet View Post
That Smith and Wesson will sell ten times faster than the Winchester unless the rifle is an absolutely mint Super Grade in pre-64 years, which you said it was not. The six inch barrel revolver is perfect for hunting in lots of states, and you have a box and accessories too. It is a desirable handgun, but not necessarily a collectible.

Just breeze thru Gunbroker or Armslist for some pricing guides.

I can't say the .270 is the perfect round for jumping into reloading, but it is a fantastic round doing exactly what it was designed to do with the factory loadings available.

As mentioned above, do a deal that makes you comfortable. You can find excellent shooting 270 rifles all day for 300-500, but a Smith like that is not.
Zed. In a case where I don't really need either or both (have the above mentioned hand me down Savage, and a 6 inch Ruger GP100 so .270 and .357 are covered) it pretty much comes down to a flip of the coin as to which I want more. I kind of have to agree with BTH on this one.

That 686 in the shape it's in will be worth more sold outright than the Winchester will. Since space is at a premium, I say Keep the Smith unless there is a good chunk of cash, a $hit ton of ammo, or some higher end accessories to swing it more your way in the long run. The money in both is about the same right now, but with the original box and grip, the speedloaders, carry sleeve, and other odds and ends, kept in good shape of course, the end value will be higher on the Smith.

I have a prime example of the extras being worth more than the gun in my safe here at home. I have a Mossberg 185 d that is a $75 shotgun on it's own, but what is still with it almost 80 years after my grandfather bought it new at the Western Auto down town makes it worth a lot more. I have the rack tags which include the instructions for the shotgun and how to change the choke tubes, all 3 choke tubes and the wrench, the sales receipt dater 5 August, 1949, and the Mossberg catalog for 1948 with my grandfather's note in it from when he was deciding between it and a J.C. Higgins. Add to this that he had a fully adjustable Redding Peep sight installed on the receiver, and that $75 shotgun goes way up in value due to what is with it.

That's is a moot point of course, as it is one that will never be sold. It will go to my daughter when I am no longer able to use it, and someday, on to my grandchildren. until then, it will still be used by me to put food in the freezer.

Choice is yours my friend. Satisfaction now, take the .270 and enjoy it. Better pay off later on should you ever need the money, go with the 686.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

I asked some more about the rifle and it was made in early 2000's. What makes it a pre-64, besides the obvious?
The classic Mauser action. An early '00 M70 is likely a push feed action. Nothing terribly wrong with it, just not "special". I think a mint, keyhole-free 686 is more valuable.