Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   is it possible to convert an ar 15 rifle to an ar pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/possible-convert-ar-15-rifle-ar-pistol-48522/)

bushyspikemaster 09-20-2011 02:59 PM

is it possible to convert an ar 15 rifle to an ar pistol

ok i just bought an ar 15 and i was just wondering if i can change it to a pistol by changing the upper i am new to the m4 world so i dont know that why i am asking ?:)

Firearms4ever 09-20-2011 03:03 PM

Well if you did change out the upper to lets say anything shorter than a 16 inch barrel you would have a SBR and have to pay a $200 fee to own it.

This is because unless you specifically purchase an AR15 pistol version then it is considered a rifle.

bushyspikemaster 09-20-2011 03:10 PM

so all i have to do is pay $200 and its good what do have to do to the gun to make the change?:)

Firearms4ever 09-20-2011 03:26 PM

I'm not 100% sure if you have to pay a tax on it or not. I'm looking at the ATF's website and I'll get back to you shortly.

JonM 09-20-2011 03:40 PM

If it has a stock and a barrel shorter than 16" then its a shirtbarrel rifle subject to nfa registration and 200$ tax stamp. You must do the paper work and recieve the tax stamp in hand before purchasing the new short barrel. The reciever has to be engraved with your information as a short barrel rifle.

There isnt much point to converting to a pistol as once registered as such you may not put a rifle stock on it. Only a sbr can swap between short and long barrel.

If you choose for some wierd reason to convert it through the batfe to a pistol its a pistol for good.

Pistol lowers are cheap and much less than the cost of the paperwork and effort to convert from rifle to pistol.

Still cant put a stock on a pistol with a barrel length less than 16".

If you possess a short barrel for an ar15, while in possession of a standard ar15 rifle reciever, less than 16" and do not also own a pistol lower or a short barrel rifle lower or a registered m16 or full auto sear your in violation of nfa law.

So if you want to go that route make sure you have an appropriate lower before you buy the barrel.

bushyspikemaster 09-20-2011 03:48 PM

ok cool thanks i am goin to look into making it a sbr sounds alot easier :)

masterPsmith 09-20-2011 04:34 PM

"Forget about doing it in California"

Jim......

303tom 09-20-2011 06:31 PM

Not Legally !!!!!!!!!

HOSSFLY 09-21-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 583218)
I'm not 100% sure if you have to pay a tax on it or not. I'm looking at the ATF's website and I'll get back to you shortly.

You really should-
You about to send him to prison!

The OP should look up laws himself & not ask questions here of this nature -

JonM 09-21-2011 12:35 AM

ooops didnt see you were in commiefornia prolly should forget the idea your never gonna find a cleo to sign for it even if its legal there.

if you do find one its best to consult an attorney familiar with nfa law in your gulag state