Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Popping my cherry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

When it comes to caliber, usually my recommendation would be .308 Win., however, .270 Win. seems to be the lonely stepchild of the 3 you listed when ammo gets tight. I have seen .270 more consistently throughout this past year than either .308 or .30-06.

These 3 calibers all have a great deal of overlap in their capabilities.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #12

Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Basic Bolt Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydiaz1123 View Post
So I'm looking for my first rifle. I want to shoot distance. I want to spend 350$ most. Not sure if I want a .308,30.06, or .270. I need input please give some opinions. ( Bolt action)
.308 Winchester is probably as 'universal' a cartridge as is needed for the Continental 48 states. .30-06 is more flexible IF the shooter is a reloader. A .30-06 rifle might be cheaper - just a little - in a used rifle. Either cartridge is capable of shooting about as far as one can see.

Most of the manufacturers make an adequate to decent bolt rifle. On a bare-bones budget, you probably won't find a perfect target rifle, but you can find one of average - useful - accuracy. Looking for such a rifle will be half the fun. Depending on your local area, check pawn shops, local gun stores, and places like Wal-Mart (some other 'big-box' stores may or may not have firearms as well.)

As with anything, it is an excellent plan to have a good idea of what you seek PRIOR to walking in the door with money burning a hole in your pocket. A good salesman will see you coming from afar. Don't act like you know everything, but know what you seek.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1431 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 309

First rifle? As in, you think you will have more than one? If that's the case, I'd buy a used one in either 30-06 or .270, as .308 goes 'bye bye' whenever we have gun grabber scares. A used Remington 700 is a darn good place to start. And then there's optics......the farther out you want to shoot, the more $$ you are going to need typically.

You want to shoot distance? Start by shooting at small distance (50-100 yards) and learn how to shoot. That means, how to breathe, how to pull the trigger. For some guys it comes naturally (I am lucky that way) but there are plenty of guys that just can't get relaxed enough to shoot well. When you learn how to consistently group your bullets in a 2-3" circle at 50 yards, you are ready to move up in distance. I have seen countless guys show up at the 200 meter range at my club with expensive rigs.....more expensive than anything I'll ever buy....and not hit paper or even know WHERE they hit.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Until you experience a fair amount of recoil you should start with something in the area of a .243. It is capable of taking good sized deer down to ground hogs. If you start with heavier recoil you can develop some hard to break bad habits. My favorite is 30.06 because its versatility but you cant go wrong with .308 or .270. If you are a true beginner I agree with BillM, everybody needs a 22LR, and they are inexpensive to shoot, don't require cleaning every time you go shooting, and a hoot to shoot. You can get a lot more for your money if you can find a nice used gun.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 11-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16846 Times on 9760 Posts
Likes Given: 43911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydiaz1123 View Post
So I'm looking for my first rifle. I want to shoot distance. I want to spend 350$ most. Not sure if I want a .308,30.06, or .270. I need input please give some opinions. ( Bolt action)
new to rifles. get a bolt action 22 rimfire and learn the fundamentals of rifle shooting first. it will teach me more first starting on rifles than a larger bore centerfire and be much cheaper to shoot.

i am going to assume that you don't reload and starting out with a centerfire, unless you have deep pockets or reload, you won't be able to put rounds down range like you can with a 22. and time spent pulling the trigger is what make a person a better shooter.

and of the three choices you listed the 308 is the least recoiling. and the other two are not the best choices for a person new to rifles for their first rifle.

learn the 22 and then step up to a centerfire rifle.
People Like This 
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #16

Liked 125 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Remember that a lot of military trainers were the same basic shape / size as the field use weapon but in the .22 caliber for ease of training and expense of practice.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #17

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

My first gun was a mosin Nagant. And before that the only shooting experience I had was with shotguns. So I don't think you need to start with a .22. All of the rifle calibers you want are very good.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16846 Times on 9760 Posts
Likes Given: 43911

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb6112 View Post
My first gun was a mosin Nagant. And before that the only shooting experience I had was with shotguns. So I don't think you need to start with a .22. All of the rifle calibers you want are very good.
unless you have deep pockets or reload, then you may have a point. but with a budget of $350 to me says the OP doesn't have deep pockets to afford to shoot the amount of rounds to get good at shooting with a centerfire.

for $350, the OP can get a good bolt bolt action 22 and a lot of ammo and start practicing.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Tony,

Looking for your first rifle at a price tag of $350? As mentioned you should go shopping for a good used rifle with scope. Anything new and decent is going to be next to impossible to get it with a decent quality scope for that price. If the distance you are referring to is 300 or less you can probably find something good in that range. Unless you buy the rifle and save for a scope and good quality rings later. So good luck and keep us informed.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 155 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Saw a savage 110 with accu trigger in 7mm Remington magnum today, $275 at a gun show. If you can find what you are looking for a gun show might not be a bad place to go. Just know your prices and bring cash to haggle with. I'm not necessarily suggesting a 7mm Remington magnum but the savage 110 is a nice rifle!