poi shift
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > poi shift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default poi shift

Has anyone ever heard of a change in point of impact? My shot groups stay relatively the same but their point of impact on the target shifts. However, if i let the gun sit and come back later, the poi returns to normal. Does anyone know any reason for this or any solutions? Any help is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Are you shooting cold bore with a cold zero?

Or a cold bore with a hot zero?

Or a warm bore and a warm zero, but your first group is off because you are shooting cold??

Basically, if we assume that NOTHING is wrong with the rifle ( outside influences due to heat, directional force of a sling incorrectly applied, pressure on the barrel from bracing, etc. ), we assume that the ammo is consistent, the shooter is consistent, then we have optics and zero.

If the scope is not mounted correctly and is susceptible from heat caused by shooting, that could contribute.

However, without knowing when you zero, and when you shoot, that would be the first thing that I would question.

JD

Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's common for a barrel to "walk" when warmed up. The 1st thing I'd do is check your bedding. The stock may be pushing against the barrel in such a way that when it warms up your POI will change. That's the reason free floated barrel bedding is so popular. If that doesn't do it then the barrel wasn't properly stress relieved at the factory after machining. Let us know when you check your barrel bedding.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #4

what gun are you shooting?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #5

It is a pellet gun, Gamo Big Cat 1200. I realize shooting a pellet gun is a lot about technique.. Could this maybe be the problem? I dont think the barrel gets hot enough to play a big factor into the accuracy problems. I would focus more on the gun?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #6

pellet gun?