Places to get milsurp guns, part by part?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Places to get milsurp guns, part by part?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Default Places to get milsurp guns, part by part?

I collect historic/milsurp guns, and recently on a trip to my LGS was very tempted by a Russian capture Kar98k for $375. The bore was good and the gun was in good overall shape, but since it was a Russian capture, the bolt had two or three mismatching serial numbers on it. I was tempted as Germany is one of the only countries not (yet) represented in my WWII collection, but I didn't go for it... I just remember seeing a post online by a guy who put together a lee-enfield mk4 out of parts for $150 total. I figured if I was going to have something mismatched, I ought to look into getting it much cheaper than $375.

Does anyone know good places to buy parts of milsurps for this kind of thing?

(PS: I put the kar98 on hold until Friday in case I changed my mind on this)

Thanks!
-Garandman

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

The price is really high for a Russian capture, Have you looked at these?
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/yugo-k98s-104258/

If you are looking for a C&R rifle, the C&R section works best.

They are sold out!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 03-05-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: sold out

Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #3

Liked 195 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 63

For Mauser parts, I have made a list of places that have some. Try the following places:
Apex gun parts
ssporters.com
World War supply
e-sarco.com
Numrich (gunparts.com?)
Libertytreecollectors
Hoosiergunworks

And there is a site called Mausercentral.com that may help you find more.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1265 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

http://www.jgsales.com/mauser-98-bolt-action-rifle,-8x57,-german-k98k-rebuilt-by-yugoslavia,-with-post-war-crest,-gunsmith-special-gss.-p-67176.html

When all else fails.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

I would point out, for the benefit of future, younger readers with less experience- legally, the RECEIVER is the firearm. While I can order lots of pieces parts on the interwebz, the RECEIVER is treated the same as if I were buying a whole, entire gun. It must go to a FFL holder (dealer) in my home state, I must do the same paperwork as if I were buying a complete gun, etc. The exception would be a face-to-face with another resident of my state.

I mention this since we have had some younger readers that see an ad for a "parts kit" and make the assumption that this is a DIY kit for making an AK, SVT-40, Suomi submachine gun, etc.

To the OP- in GENERAL, the cost of the parts to assemble a complete firearm is about 3-4 times the sale price of the same gun. Go over to gunpartscorp.com, look up a common firearm, remember they do not sell receivers, but add up the cost of all the screws, springs, levers, clevises, sights, pins, whatchamacallits of doohickeys. Total the $$$ amount, and sit and ponder for a minute. And there are still the issues of getting headspace right, indexing barrels so that sights are on the top of the gun, etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

TLuker Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys!

After a little research, I think C3 is right (as usual!) about the pricing at the end of the project. Realistically the best option is to find one sporsterized or missing parts for short money, and just restore that, or better still, bide my time until I trip over a nice all original one...

Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8465 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I would point out, for the benefit of future, younger readers with less experience- legally, the RECEIVER is the firearm. While I can order lots of pieces parts on the interwebz, the RECEIVER is treated the same as if I were buying a whole, entire gun. It must go to a FFL holder (dealer) in my home state, I must do the same paperwork as if I were buying a complete gun, etc. The exception would be a face-to-face with another resident of my state.

I mention this since we have had some younger readers that see an ad for a "parts kit" and make the assumption that this is a DIY kit for making an AK, SVT-40, Suomi submachine gun, etc.

To the OP- in GENERAL, the cost of the parts to assemble a complete firearm is about 3-4 times the sale price of the same gun. Go over to gunpartscorp.com, look up a common firearm, remember they do not sell receivers, but add up the cost of all the screws, springs, levers, clevises, sights, pins, whatchamacallits of doohickeys. Total the $$$ amount, and sit and ponder for a minute. And there are still the issues of getting headspace right, indexing barrels so that sights are on the top of the gun, etc.
There are some cases where you can get one of these "kits" where the receiver has been de-milled, if done properly those receivers can be purchased across state lines without the FFL. YMMV.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Dad- true- with limitations. The ATF now requires that "demilling" be performed by using a cutting torch that removes at least a quarter inch wide strip of metal, and the receiver be cut into 4 or more bits. Under some circumstances, they may permit crushing it flat, or melting it (liquid metal)

Even so, if you have a full auto, THAT cannot be restored unless it was registered with the BATFE by May 1986.

You can't do the history of future past (unless you are the Moody Blues)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #9

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Dad- true- with limitations. The ATF now requires that "demilling" be performed by using a cutting torch that removes at least a quarter inch wide strip of metal, and the receiver be cut into 4 or more bits. Under some circumstances, they may permit crushing it flat, or melting it (liquid metal)

Even so, if you have a full auto, THAT cannot be restored unless it was registered with the BATFE by May 1986.

. Seen that before...
image.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8465 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification.

To everybody else, its always better to be safe than sorry and a felon.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.