piston vs. gas - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > piston vs. gas

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

It seems most fall on either the "AR accuracy" or the "AK dependability"

side of the line.

While ARs are, IMO, great rifles, I'm just not a fan of their

more complicated field-strip.

Which, I guess, makes me an AK type...

__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Push rear receiver pin, rotate upper, pull charging handle, remove BCG, remove bolt from BCG...

What the hell is complicated?

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Push rear receiver pin, rotate upper, pull charging handle, remove BCG, remove bolt from BCG...

What the hell is complicated?
Might be a lil' more daunting to a 12 year old conscript who rode his goat to the "gun store"
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

Might be a lil' more daunting to a 12 year old conscript who rode his goat to the "gun store"
Maybe so, but I could never get the bolt back into an AK quite right...
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Maybe so, but I could never get the bolt back into an AK quite right...
And to your point, I really don't see the difficulty in the AR field strip.
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default

Don't Care...

Durring 6 years of Infantry service the D.I. system on the M16 A2 worked flawlessly. Thousands upon thousands of rounds fired with ZERO malfunctions. The only hickups I ever experienced with D.I. was during MILES training using blank ammo and blank adapters which literally vent POUNDS of crap back into the receiver.

Never a hitch with live rounds.

Are piston guns easier to clean...sure they are. But I'm not willing to fork over and extra $400 to $500 for a piston upper and accept the added muzzle rise that comes with them.

If ease of cleaning is the reason people consider piston guns they could save a lot of money and have a more controllable rifle by simple upgrading there bolt and bolt carrier to a stainless steel unit.

TACK

__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

And to your point, I really don't see the difficulty in the AR field strip.
Neither do I. I was pleasantly surprised when the DI on Parris Island showed us how to do it.

And if I recall correctly, the BCG only consists of the bolt carrier, bolt, and firing pin. Once the firing pin is out, remove the bolt key and pull the bolt, and then a smaller pin to remove the extractor.

What I can't remember after not having touched that series of weapons in the past 7 years, is exactly how the firing pin comes out...I'm sure I could figure it out at a glance if I come across one though...

Cotter pin?
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Neither do I. I was pleasantly surprised when the DI on Parris Island showed us how to do it.

And if I recall correctly, the BCG only consists of the bolt carrier, bolt, and firing pin. Once the firing pin is out, remove the bolt key and pull the bolt, and then a smaller pin to remove the extractor.

What I can't remember after not having touched that series of weapons in the past 7 years, is exactly how the firing pin comes out...I'm sure I could figure it out at a glance if I come across one though...

Cotter pin?
Yes, pulling the cotter pin on the port side of the BCG allows the firing pin to drop out the rear of the BCG

TACK
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Yes, pulling the cotter pin on the port side of the BCG allows the firing pin to drop out the rear of the BCG

TACK
Damn I'm good. I haven't broken one down since my last qualification in 2005.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,390
Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Push rear receiver pin, rotate upper, pull charging handle, remove BCG, remove bolt from BCG...

What the hell is complicated?
Field stripping an AR is difficult? Really?
__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
AR-15 DI vs. Piston Okie_fd AR-15 Discussion 13 01-11-2012 12:18 AM
5.56 gas piston AR 15...thoughts? runthrukilla DIY Projects 7 08-30-2011 01:55 PM
Is this AR worth it? YHM/DD Piston Gojubrian AR-15 Discussion 4 06-02-2011 10:13 PM
Anybody got a gas piston AR? FALPhil AR-15 Discussion 16 11-11-2010 01:41 PM
Gas or Piston ? ? ? STF AR-15 Discussion 9 04-03-2010 11:44 PM