Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Pistoll Caliber Carbine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/pistoll-caliber-carbine-52052/)

Ruzai 11-18-2011 12:29 PM

Pistoll Caliber Carbine

I've been contemplating building a 45 caliber carbine that uses the 30 round KRISS mags but ISNT the KRISS Super-V. I just dont like the feel of the gun, I'd rather an AR-15 style chambered in a 45acp or 460 Rowland.
I only have a little experince with AR-15s and I'm not a fan of the .223 and 5.56 Nato, but the platform's feel is outstanding, so I figure I'm going to need a little help with this project.

Here's my wants on this poject:

Has to use Glock 21 magazines (thus the 30-Round KRISS mags)

Have a decent trigger pull (preferably not Glock style squishy but i can deal with it if I have to).

NO Direct Impengment gas system (Piston or Blowback was what I was thinking)

I'd like the capability for 460 Rowland but its not a deal breaker.
-------
My purpose for the gun is that it sounds fun and might double as a second SHTF gun. Mostly for fun though.

So does anyone have ideas about how I might get this accomplished?

I see that MGI's Hydra has a Glock 21 Magwell but I'm not sure of MGI's repuatation or the Hydra's for that matter. Any gripes or complaints?

jamesb 11-18-2011 01:29 PM

You don't like the feel of the KRISS. Have you actually shot one or just held one? Just curious. I shot a SBR version and if I had the cash I would do it in a heartbeat :)

Jpyle 11-18-2011 04:51 PM

Check out Just Right rifled. They offer several pistol caliber carbines that use Glock mags.

Ruzai 11-18-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesb (Post 630773)
You don't like the feel of the KRISS. Have you actually shot one or just held one? Just curious. I shot a SBR version and if I had the cash I would do it in a heartbeat :)

Yes, I've shot it in the Rifle configuration in run-and-gun competition between friends and just messing around on the range.
I'm not saying its a bad weapons system or anything, its jut not my style.

I've taken another look at the JRCs, looked at them a while back. The only thing common between them and the AR-15 is the general look and feel and a handfull of parts. The deisassebly of the system is wonky compared to a normal AR-15. To be honest, having to take the stock off to the bolt and everything doesnt sit well with me.

Ruzai 04-11-2012 04:26 AM

I know this is an old thread but I think I've found my solution to the problem and someone out there might want to hear about it.

Thureon Defense is my answer. Originally their 9mm carbine was all they had but recently their overwhelming demand for a 45acp carbine has finally made them make the rifles in the 45acp chambering.

I talked to one of their reps on the phone, and first off I was surprised I didnt get an automated menu. Secondly, he was very nice and concise in answering all my questions about the carbine.

It meets and exceeds my needs for a pistol caliber carbine legistically, in actual practice I'll update that later when I actually get the gun from my dealer.

A note on the 460 Rowland chambering in the pistol carbine I mentioned isnt available but it is very possible for the cartridge to be put into this carbine in theory. Though just to be safe, I'll probably hold off on that until I can replace the barrel with one with thicker walls just to be safe.

My search for the 45 carbine through MGI was a bust and they werent very helpful at all when I called and asked about their M3 grease gun and Glock 21 mag Hydra models. Apparently they dont know their own backorder dates or lead time on batches either. Good idea with the Hydra, bad business-end execution of it.

orangello 04-11-2012 04:30 AM

I assume you saw the Olympic Arms offerings? I dream of a 10mm carbine that is reliable and built for hot rounds.

primer1 04-11-2012 05:32 AM

Ruger makes, or made, a semi auto 44 mag carbine. something like that with a high cap mag would be kick ass, would it not?

Ruzai 04-11-2012 07:16 AM

Primer1: Made, past tense. Same with Tromix making an AR-15 in 44 magnum, 50AE and a bunch of other magnum calibers.
The main hurdle to get over is that pesky rim on the 44 magnum. So far 10 rounds max is all you're getting out of a 44 magnum rifle and thats custom made magazines for that particular rifle you're talking about.
But yeah, it'd be awesome, I suppose thats why the 50 Beowulf and 458 Socom are doing so well.

Orangello: Yeah, I looked, I didnt like the fact they had proprietary magazines. I didnt look too far into them though. Thureon Defense makes a 10mm carbine and by the sounds of it, it can take the hot loads due to the heavy DPMS 308 buffer spring they are using in their rifles. They're using the Glock 20 magazines in their 10mm carbines, so check them out. You never know they might be your answer too.

JTJ 04-11-2012 01:34 PM

Have you looked at the JR Carbine? They are on the Vendor List and run adds on top. Seems to meet most of your criteria.

locutus 04-11-2012 10:25 PM

It's fun to have lotsa different guns.

But for actual use, what would a .45ACP or .44 mag carbine do that a 5.56 carbine wouldn't do far better?:confused::confused: