Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is pillar bedding necessary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is pillar bedding necessary

I have a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. I've owned it since 1981. It is factory and therefore not pillar bedded. It's extremely accurate, 1/2 MOA.

I'm left handed and just acquired a right handed 700 BDL. It also is 1/2 MOA. I would like to get a left handed stock for a right handed gun. I keep reading where a magnum rifle should be pillar bedded in order for it to be accurate.

Any advice or comments, pro or con,on the subject would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

If it really shoots 1/2 MOA now, how much do you expect it to improve? And how much difference would it really make if it did? Will the deer know the difference?

Epoxy bedding can make a huge difference in accuracy, IF the rifle has poor bedding to begin with. It's not going to make much difference if the rifle has good solid bedding from the factory, which your rifle apparently does.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #3

I don't expect it to be better. As I said, I'm left handed and the factory stock is right handed. Therefore, the cheek piece is on thew wrong side. It makes it hard to acquire a good target when my head is in an awkward position to get a line of sight.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I`m not a fan of piller bedding. I put a piller bedd stock on a Savage 224 TTH and it would shoot 1/2 moa. But after I glass bedded it, it would shoot 1/4 moa. Why settle for for 1/2 of a bedding job? If it`s worth bedding galss bed it. That`s my never to be humble oppenion.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
I`m not a fan of piller bedding. I put a piller bedd stock on a Savage 224 TTH and it would shoot 1/2 moa. But after I glass bedded it, it would shoot 1/4 moa. Why settle for for 1/2 of a bedding job? If it`s worth bedding galss bed it. That`s my never to be humble oppenion.
Openion????? Cool word lol just messin with ya bud, I fully agree if u are gonna bed it then glass bed it

Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcattle
I don't expect it to be better. As I said, I'm left handed and the factory stock is right handed. Therefore, the cheek piece is on thew wrong side. It makes it hard to acquire a good target when my head is in an awkward position to get a line of sight.
Most aftermarket stocks have an ambadextrous style stock that will work fine for u also try trading it for a lefty gun lot of room to work with unless u just dont want to part with it, in that case get one of the ambadextrous style stocks

Old 12-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcattle
My brother is wacky like u he is right handed but loves a left handed bolt so he gets a right hand blank an has a smith finish it for left hand actions?? Yes I know he is wacky. But thats another choice for u

Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #8

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman
If it really shoots 1/2 MOA now, how much do you expect it to improve? And how much difference would it really make if it did? Will the deer know the difference?

Epoxy bedding can make a huge difference in accuracy, IF the rifle has poor bedding to begin with. It's not going to make much difference if the rifle has good solid bedding from the factory, which your rifle apparently does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

My brother is wacky like u he is right handed but loves a left handed bolt so he gets a right hand blank an has a smith finish it for left hand actions?? Yes I know he is wacky. But thats another choice for u
All of this is good advice. If you want to glass bed it find you a smith that has done it for a long time to get the best results.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcattle View Post
I re-read your original post and now understand that you plan on restocking the gun. I'd try it in the new stock first. If you're still getting 1/2 MOA then leave it alone.

In my experience about 90% of any improvement from a bedding job can be realized from just epoxy bedding. Pillar bedding is useful, but it requires a lot more skill and tooling to do well.

Last edited by natman; 12-06-2011 at 08:22 AM.