Picked up a Rem 700P .308
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Picked up a Rem 700P .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 138 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Picked up a Rem 700P .308

I picked up a nice Remington 700. I've fired about 25 rounds through it and so far, I love it. Currently shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards, but I also have very limited experience behind a precision bolt gun with optics, so I'm not too concerned yet. I know I need to work on myself a lot more before worrying about the gun. --I can see the crosshairs moving on the target more than I want them to, trying to time my squeeze with my breathing while limiting sie to side movements.

I plan to only ever shoot from a bi-pod too. Not interested in sandbagging or benchresting, since those are not 'field conditions'

All that said, I read about trigger adjustments that the user can make on the 700. I attempted to do this on mine, but the set screws seem to be loctited in, beyond the sealer on the screws. I attempted to break it free with my Allen wrenches, but I'm afraid I'm going to snap the wrenches because they're so small.

Are the newer 700s triggers modified from previous designs because of the trigger recall? none of the online 'how-to's described the screws being permanently secured, only mentioned having to scrape the sealant off the top of the screws

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

cuda,
I would share some good advise for you. I am very familiar with the rifle you are speaking about. Yes they have sealed the adjustment screws on the standard 700-P rifle's triggers.
My suggestion is go on the internet and find a Remington Service Center close to you and have them dial it in. The normal Sniper setting is 3.5 lbs. Of course you can certainly have it set to less. But the 3.5 is a good safe setting. For example our closest one here in Tennessee is in Louisville KY. As far as for peak accuracy when using a Bi-Pod. I would highly suggest one similar to the Harris Bi-Pod (without the swivel) and also the Model that is called the BR Model with adjustment of 6-9 inch model. The closer to the ground or bench the Bi-Pod is the more easily it is to control stability and the more accurate the rifle will be. We used them on the Team for years. When I retired we had 7 of them in service. And yes once you get your method of breathing down and trigger "press" you should be able to shoot 1 MOA and less with that rifle. Each person is a little different . Some take in two or three good breaths and then let half of it out when shooting. I am a little different. I take in two or three good breaths and let it all out. This gives me about 5-6 seconds to finalize the shot before having any air demand. Which is more than adequate. And for me I do not have to hold my 1/2 diaphragm and am firm as a rock when shooting. It is just my way but not the choice of all. It is what works for you! As far as the 700-P they are one of the most accurate factory production rifles produced out there today. Of course there are custom rifles like the Remington 40-X, Accuracy Systems and others. But for the money the Remington 700-P is hard to beat. We used Federal Gold Medal GM308M 168gr. Ammunition in them which produced great accuracy. In fact one of my Snipers shot this weapon with the above mentioned ammunition firing the final winning shot to win the Gold Medal and First place Team in the 2001 World Police and Fire Games. So you have a good weapon and with some practice I am sure you will be even more pleased with it than you are now. Oh by the way. Do not lube the barrel after cleaning it thoroughly with your solvent! If you do the *Cold Bore Shot (first shot) will most always be around 1 MOA off of your Zero. And one wants the first shot out of a clean rifle to be the same as that he or she zeroed the rifle.
For a Sniper this is the most critical shot of all since it should be the only shot on a single target.
As in Carlos Hathcock's legend! ONE SHOT ONE KILL! Enjoy that new rifle!
And send us some pictures and a range reports as you progress along!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
People Like This 
Old 07-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #3

Thanks brother!

I made a trade for this rifle, and part of the trade included a box of 147 grain ammo from a company I've not heard of. I also have about 30 rounds of another brand to burn up as well, but going forward I plan to only buy the 168 grain stuff, seems like it's the most accurate factory ammo for this caliber. I'm not set up for reloading, and my skill is a LOOONG way off from requiring it to optimize accuracy.

I think it is a harris bipod, but I'm not sure. It was already on the rifle. Has adjustable legs that also spring back into position after releasing the lock, and I can pivot them up parallel to the barrel. it also swivels or pivots on the scope allowing me to 'clock' the rifle.

Along with a 4-15x50 truglow "Trubrite" illuminated recticle scope. Had to do some studying on the internet to learn about the paralax adjustment. Once understanding that and watching some computer animations, it finally clicked...dial in the distance then tweak it so that the recticle doesn't move on the target as my head moves side to side/up and down.

Learning how carbon/copper build up on the rifling can affect accuracy, what's the best way to clean it? On my pistols and ARs, I've always just put some solvent in the bore then run a bore snake through a few times. never added lube to the barrel after cleaning...that's what the hard chrome is for!

I have a pic on my phone, I'll have to upload it to photobucket and post it here.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #4

Oh, another quick question regarding pillar bedding. seems like another simple thing that i can do myself. (If I can build a 500 hp engine, or do some light body work/bondo work, then I can work with some epoxy haha)

but it seems the pillars are already locked securely into the stock, unlike the pictures/videos I've watched on pillar bedding. Does this stock that already has the barrel free floated and pillars secured even need bedding? (yes, I checked, used several dollar bills and slipped them all the way to the receiver) I do see witness marks on the receiver where it appears to make contact with the stock.

--not that I'm ready to bed the action right away, Again, I know there are other things I need to work on first.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 490 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 191

They come with a great stock, you shouldn't need to bed it at all. As far as cleaning goes that is personal preference. I always just bore snake it, and do a rod and patches every 500 rounds or so. PSA has the Federal gold match 168s that shoot the best in these particular rifles on sale. Does it have the old fluting or the new fluting?

Old 07-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #6

Fluting? the barrel is not fluted. 26" heavy threaded barrel with a compensator on it right now.

gotta get pics posted Haha. (cell phone died, battery is charging so I can upload pic to photobucket)
TheSadPanda Likes This 
Old 07-20-2015, 12:23 AM   #7

Liked 490 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Ahhh sorry, my bad. I was thinking of the LTR. Same stock though.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #8

Picked up a Rem 700P .308 - General Rifle Discussion

Pic of the new toy along side the AR I built. (Palmetto State Armory lower, their mil-spec parts kit, Bravo company upper w/ CHF 16" barrel, mid-length gas system, Spikes M16 BCG, Aimpoint red dot)
TheSadPanda Likes This 
Old 07-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #9

Liked 134 Times on 86 Posts

After you get comfortable with how she shoots, look at getting the action trued. It makes a difference to people who know how to shoot. You could also upgrade actions but that is a significant amount more. Enjoy her, keep her lubed and finger her often :-)

Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

2nd time out with the rifle. Mostly happy with it. I'm producing a few fliers, but its likely still me, not the equipment.

One thing I noticed is my 2nd string of fire was much tighter than my first string, then it opened back up on my 3rd. I don't think the barrel was hot enough to lose accuracy. to the touch it felt like it was maybe around 120 degrees.

But, I've put probably 50 rounds total through it now myself. Got me thinking, after how many rounds do you guys clean your precision weapons? How many does it take before you get copper fouling build up that impacts accuracy?

Anyway, here's a couple targets, 50 yards and 100 yards. It looks like right now the bullet is still rising between 50 and 100, might have ended up with a 200 yard zero inadvertently. I may give it 4 clicks down next time to get it closer to a 100 yard zero.

@ 50 yards, I was a little left. I think I've corrected that now, but my 100 yard group was spread side to side, so it's hard to tell.

@ 100 yards, shot high. had a crazy flier that went just let of the point of aim with the rest going high. with the left/right spread I think I need to focus on finger/trigger engagement, ensure I'm only using the pad of the last knuckle and doing it the same every time.