"Pet" Rifles?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > "Pet" Rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default "Pet" Rifles?

Since I was a kid I always thought someday I'd have one favorite rifle that went everywhere with me, like a faithful dog. I never really found the "one". I think I might have finally found it.

A Ruger Frontier in 7mm-08. I missed out on the .308 version that was in the shop last week, but figured I didn't have a 7mm caliber rifle yet so why not?

I picked it up Friday, slapped on a cheap Bushnell 2x LER scope that I had kicking around. In a hurry off a bench I had it sighted in and printing 1.5" groups with factory ammo. I know it's not that great, but factory ammo, not too much time and for a deer/ coyote/ anything inside of 100 yards rifle I can't complain.

Opening day of deer season this morning and my brother and I put on about 6 miles per GPS in some fairly heavy cover. I barely noticed this rifle was there. I think I am in love (and rifles don't complain that they weren't loved enough, a la ex wives).

Anyone else have a pet rifle?

pb140005.jpg  

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 11-15-2009 at 02:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2009, 03:15 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My pet hunting rifle was my Husqvarna Mauser in .300WinMag. Her name is "Sharon", and she went everywhere with me. Points like she was custom fitted to me (She was custom fitted by Flaigs in Millvale PA to her original owner who must have been built like me), and shoots like a dream. She is beautiful, too.

I retired her a couple of years ago after an extremely wet Elk season (8 days of rain without even a 10 minute break). I did not want her to go through another season of abuse like that. It was biblical rain except at night when it turned to freezing rain and snow, and she deserves better.

My buddy gave me his Win Mod70 Classic in stainless steel (.300WinMag) when he decided to stick with his .300Wby, so I retired Sharon. The new rifle is great, but just not the same as Sharon.

I'll dig her out and post a pic.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My pet hunting rifle is my ol Browning A-bolt chambered in .284 win and topped with an Leupold Vari-X 2 in 3x-9x-40mm. I love the 7mm08 caliber and want a X-bolt in that caliber but for now I'm happy with my own version of "old reliable".
Note it's wearing a Nikon in the pic.

100_3945.jpg  

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 11-15-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nice rifle. I also admire your Elvis clock.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

----------
img000008.jpg
My 1 of 250 model 7600maple in 35Whelen. Leupold 2-7x33 VXII in QR base.
I've always been a bolt guy but this thing is fast becoming my favorite! Its light, fast handling, and hits hard. Recoil is not violent, shoots way better than a pumpgun should with 250gr Interlocks at around 2300fps. First year hunting with this rifle, cant wait, bear season opens up in a week!

Here it is today gettin ready for bear with my buds new guide gun 45-70
-------------------------------

At first I didn't like the almost white maple stock, but its grown on me. Its got cut checkering not the pressed checkering most factory rems got. Gives a nice no slip grip. Lookin forward to scratchin it up

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
----------
Attachment 7720
My 1 of 250 model 7600maple in 35Whelen. Leupold 2-7x33 VXII in QR base.
I've always been a bolt guy but this thing is fast becoming my favorite! Its light, fast handling, and hits hard. Recoil is not violent, shoots way better than a pumpgun should with 250gr Interlocks at around 2300fps. First year hunting with this rifle, cant wait, bear season opens up in a week!

Here it is today gettin ready for bear with my buds new guide gun 45-70
-------------------------------

At first I didn't like the almost white maple stock, but its grown on me. Its got cut checkering not the pressed checkering most factory rems got. Gives a nice no slip grip. Lookin forward to scratchin it up
Serious envy!! Beautiful rifle (Marlin's not bad either).

.35Whelen rocks. I have a 7600 Carbine in .30-06, but have been thinking of getting rid of it. Maybe not, after seeing yours all dressed up. Ha.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

How can it be anything but....

garand.jpg  

9x18=Makarov

Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Serious envy!! Beautiful rifle (Marlin's not bad either).

.35Whelen rocks. I have a 7600 Carbine in .30-06, but have been thinking of getting rid of it. Maybe not, after seeing yours all dressed up. Ha.
The 7600-06 is actually what I almost bought. I bear hunted last year with the 141 Gamemaster(35rem)my g'pap bought after coming back from ww2. Inherited it couple years ago when he passed and thought it'd be fun to take it out again, I killed my first buck with it 18years ago and g'pap was proud as he11. It was light and points like a shotgun, a pure pleasure to still hunt with in thick timber.
I got to thinking it'd be nice to have a little more power than the 35rem, but wanted to keep the handling characteristics. I knew the 7600's were chambered in 06 so I thought of buying one and rebarreling to 35 whelen.
Did some research and found remington made some limited runs in whelen. I had stopped in a local shop to pick up a bolt action 700CDL 35whelen for my cousin when the clerk showed me a couple pumps in whelen. I passed cause I didn't like the blonde wood.
Went back a few weeks later cause I realized I should of bought it. The salesman told me they sold the last three at a gunshow the week before

This gunshop is an old general store with racks full of new and new-old guns stored on shelves in the basement. Lots of times they dont know exactly whats down there. Thats where they found my pump when he went to check on another 700CDL whelen for me!
They forgot it was there when they took the others to the gunshow!
Got a great deal on it-- rem's sugg. retail price $1199 I paid a whisker over half of that

Seen a few others from my run of 250 still being sold on the net.
Sorry for the long winded post, thought id share how I got my new "pet rifle"

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 11-18-2009, 03:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
The 7600-06 is actually what I almost bought. I bear hunted last year with the 141 Gamemaster(35rem)my g'pap bought after coming back from ww2. Inherited it couple years ago when he passed and thought it'd be fun to take it out again, I killed my first buck with it 18years ago and g'pap was proud as he11. It was light and points like a shotgun, a pure pleasure to still hunt with in thick timber.
I got to thinking it'd be nice to have a little more power than the 35rem, but wanted to keep the handling characteristics. I knew the 7600's were chambered in 06 so I thought of buying one and rebarreling to 35 whelen.
Did some research and found remington made some limited runs in whelen. I had stopped in a local shop to pick up a bolt action 700CDL 35whelen for my cousin when the clerk showed me a couple pumps in whelen. I passed cause I didn't like the blonde wood.
Went back a few weeks later cause I realized I should of bought it. The salesman told me they sold the last three at a gunshow the week before

This gunshop is an old general store with racks full of new and new-old guns stored on shelves in the basement. Lots of times they dont know exactly whats down there. Thats where they found my pump when he went to check on another 700CDL whelen for me!
They forgot it was there when they took the others to the gunshow!
Got a great deal on it-- rem's sugg. retail price $1199 I paid a whisker over half of that

Seen a few others from my run of 250 still being sold on the net.
Sorry for the long winded post, thought id share how I got my new "pet rifle"
I like a good story, so no worries. Used to have a 760 .308, so decided to look at the "new" 7600 carbine in .30-06 when they came out again. Bought it, fired it one time (60rds) and stuck it in the back of the safe. Ha. I love the speed of the action, the free floated bbl and the fact that it works like an 870.

Mine is the black synthetic/parkerized.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #10

My pet is a Colt Sauer (Colt Sporting Rifle) in .300 Weatherby Mag. Going hunting with it in a few hours. Love that gun.

Last edited by mox-ct; 11-18-2009 at 10:41 PM.