Perfect practice - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Perfect practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1437 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 1050

I inspect them, lube them, zero irons at 50 with the first 20 rounds, inspect them again, maybe run a patch through, and then go back to 100 yards, zero optics, if any, and go nuts after that.

Benchers are a whole 'nother animal and our goals are night and day different. With me it's making holes in the right place as fast as I can while moving, changing position or scenario. With them it's all loading densities, lock times, grand aggregates, flybusters and bugholes...with me it's trying to hit a silhouette in the face with two 223s at 25-30 yards while dynamic.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #12

For me it's wishing i could still focus on the front sight with my bifocal vision, deciding which contact lens works best with a scope, putting another stick-on target on the end of a 3x4 piece of pine and seeing how deep different bullets penetrate, shooting the .223 into the same little dent the .22 made in a cinder block and measuring the hole, then repeating the process with a .308....shooting an occasional target to make sure the .4" group is still in the center of the target, not somewhere else...so meat gets harvested.

Barrel break-in? Nah...cleaning wear? I doubt it, from looking at the barrel and measuring the groups of my 70's vintage guns.

Benchrest competitor? Nope...but i DO get it (honestly, i do...totally). To each his /her own.

For me, minute of squirrel eyeball, woodchuck chest, coyote (nearly anywhere), Deer vitals (a huge 6 inch diameter circle for my self-imposed vital zone), etc, etc, etc....requires nothing but a good rifle (hard to buy a bad one these days) some ammo (hard to find ammo that won't do the above items these days) and plenty of time.

My rifles get cleaned eventually around once a week. Accuracy (lol...i realize my conditions/standards may not appeal to some...but note the "occasional target") is unaffected.

The internet brings world-wide flavor to stuff like this. Anybody can post anything. I'm just glad i grew up in the 60's and 70's before all this stuff mattered so much.

I don't come to internet forums to argue, so if it seems like I'm ignoring your response, I am.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #13

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I suck, My guns get cleaned sometime after shooting and before the next time I shoot them, mostly depending on the weather conditions while out of the safe. Usually within a day or so. I tried the shoot 1 and clean, shoot 2 and clean, shoot 3 and so on to 20 on a new Savage 308 that wouldn't group better than 1 1/2 moa. and fouled like crazy. Had enough of that and shot 2 boxes of milsurp fmj to get the barrel pretty hot, took it home and cleaned the badly fouled bore. The next trip to the range it shot less than 1 moa and hardly fouled at all.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.