Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Perfect practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Perfect practice

I havent seen a thread (not saying there hasnt been one) that really discussed breaking in a new rifle or improving a used rifle that involved all the steps that need to be taken to really work up a load, break a rifle from copper fouling, proper cleaning, and achieving the most accuracy.

Im sure everyone has different ways of going about skinning a cat but just because the hide is off doesnt mean its right.

First off with any rifle new or used copper is the bad guy. If it fouls it doesnt shoot as good as its capable of. And yes I know that almost everyone has had or seen a rifle with a copper lined barrel that shot like a freakshow but we all know this isnt normal. Everyone has their preference when it comes to a copper solvent but I prefer Shooters Choice. It works. Shoot 1 fouler round (fouler is 1 round thru a clean bore to achieve a average bore condition in order to compare points of impact or true groups of multiple rounds) then shoot 1 score round. Now I use a carbon cutter type of cleaning agent first. Like a foaming carburator clean just to cut the powder residue. Then with a carbon free bore you can apply your copper cutter. New barrels or a barrel that has never been "seasoned" properly has alot of rough areas that will accumilate copper. Most copper cutters will show a blue color on a cleaning patch after sitting for a minute or 2. That blue color is copper! After 3 or 4 patches of copper cutter and you start seeing blue you are on the right track to eliminating it. On new bores or especially an older gun that was never broken in sometimes this processing of getting rid of the copper can be quite labor intensive but trust me its well worth the effort. Now your bore is clean and copper free.

Shoot 1 fouler and 2 score rounds. Dont be tempted to shoot the rest of that 20 round box out! After all we are doing this to achieve the most accuracy we can get. Repeat the cleaning process.

Shoot 1 fouler and 2 score rounds again and do the cleaning process, now 1 of 2 things is going to happen. 1 you should little to no copper fouling now or 2 you still have fouling and this is where you need to draw the line. Copper is NOT your friend and we need to get rid of the little rough spots for it to build up. To some people this is going to sound crazy and if you light of heart then read no farther. What needs to be done now is "lapping" the barrel with a fine lapping compound like JB weld lapping compound. Finer the better. With your cleaning jag put a small ammount of the compound on a cleaning patch and work it down the bore 20 strokes, now clean the bore with a light lube like Rem oil and patch it out with dry patches till clean and relap it another 20 strokes. Now you should be able to feel tight and loose spots in the bore. Repeat this process until the bore is "smooth".

Shoot 1 fouler and 2 score rounds and do the cleaning process, hopefully now your not experiencing any copper fouling. If you are then repeat the lapping process. ( I know this is tiresome but after all this is to achieve more accuracy)

Once you have knipped the copper in the butt you can move on to working a load/trying different brands of ammo to find out what works best. 3 shot groups are usually more then enough to determine whether a load is going to work or not. Sorry I forgot to meantion, your gun is very clean now, cleaner then it was when it was new. Lets keep it this way. Once it no longer copper fouls I suggest shooting no more then Four 3 shoot grps inbetween full cleanings. Putting your rifle on a rest,bipod,sand bag, anything stable and consistant is what needs to be done to determine whether or not a load is better or worse.

Im not going to insult your intelligence or ability by telling you how to shoot by ill give my opinion on consistency. The less contact you have with the gun the less chance of human error. Dont kiss the stock, press your shoulder into the rifle. Take your hand off the forearm, shoot it free recoil unless its a large bore thats gonna cut you with the scope.

Trying handfuls of different ammo threw a dirty barrel isnt going to show you whats best. Now some people once finding a great load for their rifle shoot 1 round, clean, 1 round, clean etc to determine without a doubt that the first round is always going to count.

If you cant show enough self control to do the 1 fouler, 2 score, clean process then this will not work but I promise that by eliminating copper from your rifle you will see a very noticable improvement in accuracy. Hell you may see a HUGE improvement in a older weapon by "seasoning" that bore.

This is a proven method that I hope can help you.
If anyone has anything to add to this to make it better would be great.
If you disagree with me then YOU SUCK!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
If you disagree with me then YOU SUCK!
Kind of odd comment you add at the end there buddy.

Food for thought.

I didn't break in my Remington 700 VLS in 223. Yet it shoots in the .4" at 100 yards.

I didn't break in my RRA predator Pursuit Rifle yet it will shoot 3 shot groups into .2" with the first hand load and a varmint bullet.

Also shooting free recoil doesn't work for every rifle. Nor does shooting free recoil work with every shooter. Free recoil shooting works best on rifles with wide flat forends and butts that are parallel to the forends so that they track nice and straight. Free recoil is not going to work on a hunting rifle with a skinny round forend. Also free recoil shooting is best done with lighter calibers that do not recoil much.

Also some barrels might not copper foul as much but no matter what you do a barrel will always have copper in it after you shoot it. You are forcing a copper coated bullet down a steel tube what do you think is going to happen? Let me guess steel is going to wear off on to the bullet right?

Quote:
This is a proven method that I hope can help you.
Proven how? Were there papers done on the subject? I see no proof. You can either waste time at the range shooting then cleaning then shooting then cleaning. I choose to not waste ammo like that. I shoot it and when done I might clean it.

My remmy 223 gets cleaned up to 3 times a year.

once before ground hog season.

Once during if I feel like it.

and once after the season is over and I am putting it away for the winter.

Last edited by cpttango30; 12-22-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The topic of "breaking in a barrel" is something that I have seen so many people get all worked up over. I don't really think there is any right or wrong way to do it. Personally, I don't worry about all that much and my rifles shoot sub moa all day long. I am pretty confident that my AR will shoot sub MOA after 300 rounds through it over the course of an entire weekend squirrel shooting, and I don't clean it till I get home.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

sounds like your into that crazyiness of benchrest shooting. what your outlining is the overall proccess and shooting style of benchrest shooters and honestly their procedures are a bunch of hokum. after the first shot your bore is dirty so clean after every shot is a bit on the ridiculous side of things.

if its your bag knock yourself out.

ammunition consistancy is FAR FAR FAR more important than how clean your rifle is and whether or not your touching it. even making ammunition can be taken to a far extreme where returns of accuracy just are not worth the effort.

if you like shooting a machine rest where you push a button from 60 yards away so your body heat doesnt warp the barrel and your breath doesnt nudge the bullet thats up to you. most people like the personal up close feel of KNOWING your the one that sent the rifle bullet down range not a clicker from a machine. but again if its your thing go for it. no one is gonna fault you for it but telling people its the "ONLY PROPER" way is a bit silly pants.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I still think his ending comment was inapropriate and a self centered slap in the face of every member here. JMHO........

Jim..........

Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Jim I am with you on this one. I wasn't going to comment on it till them.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
...sounds like your into that crazyiness of benchrest shooting. what your outlining is the overall proccess and shooting style of benchrest shooters ...

I fell into this type of "barrel lapping" benchrest shooting back in the 70's. Shoot 1 round, clean;shoot one round, clean; then clean after every 5 shots for another 20 or so. Boy, what a pain. Took a lot of the fun out of it.

After awhile I relaxed the process quite bit and I could still cover 5 shot groups with a dime (the gold standard back then for 22 cal), that was somewhere near .485" at 100 yards.

My last rifle I bought, a sporter weight rem 700, I cleaned the barrel 2 times during the 1st 20 shells. Now about 200 rounds later, it'll shoot .7" groups no problem. I just wonder what it could really do by a better marksman.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tried shooting my AR once free recoil and the results were terrible. For one reason or another, that gun likes to be bucked in really tight. Is it because of the roung hand guard and narrow butt stock?

I get the best results by using the palm shelf, bucking the rifle in tight to my shoulder, making sure my check weld and eye relief are perfect, and the last two things that I concentrate on are my breathing and trigger pull. There are alot of other little things that are on my check list each shot, but I won't delve into the details too much.

My point being is that there is no one right way to fire and "break in" each and every gun, and stating that there is only one way to do it is completely asinine.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My last comment on the post was just for fun. If you took it serious then well you know..... Yes us benchrest shooters are crazy.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
My last comment on the post was just for fun. If you took it serious then well you know..... Yes us benchrest shooters are crazy.
I did notice the emoticon, so figured you were kidding.

I used to break in barrels religiously, and more anally than you posted. But after speaking with the folks at Krieger, I gave it up. When they told me that barrel wear is due more to cleaning than shooting, I stopped.

Also, it is not "JB Weld". Using JB Weld to season a bore could lead to bad things. However I do use JB Compound and Kroil to clean seriously dirty and fouled barrels. Kroil every time.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."