Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   The Pedersen Device (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/pedersen-device-93052/)

DrumJunkie 06-28-2013 04:33 PM

The Pedersen Device

The Pedersen Device: The WWI super-weapon that (almost) won the war

I haven't seen anything about this before here and I happened across the article and thought y'all might like it.

Quote:

When America found herself in the brutal trench warfare that was the First World War, she needed lots of weapons—fast. One unsung inventor came up with a secret weapon that turned the standard bolt action infantry rifle into a fire-breathing dragon. This man was John Pedersen and he (almost) helped win WWI.

Read about the Peterson Device here.

Making an 03 into a completely different rifle had to be pretty wild at the time. I've never seen one of these devices in the real world. I'd love to check it out though.

MisterMcCool 06-28-2013 05:01 PM

The military adopted Thompson's .45 acp trench broom instead. Because of ammunition availability, lethality, and capacity I guess.

Jagermeister 06-28-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1289274)
The military adopted Thompson's .45 acp trench broom instead. Because of ammunition availability, lethality, and capacity I guess.

The one gun I want to own is a full auto tommy. Oh, I so wish it so, so bad.

MisterMcCool 06-28-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister

The one gun I want to own is a full auto tommy. Oh, I so wish it so, so bad.

Do you plan to return to the states?

Jagermeister 06-28-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1289282)
Do you plan to return to the states?

Nope. So no tommy gun for me. So, maybe I will have to buy another cool weapon over here. A non-AR PDR, maybe a tactical AK from CZ or HK carbine in .45 acp maybe?

c3shooter 06-28-2013 05:23 PM

I have a half dozen rounds of .30 Pedersen ammo, courtesy of a generous member here. The Pedersen device was in the field in 1918. The Thompson was not in production until after WW 1 was over.

If you visit the National Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax VA, over in the WW 1 display is a rifle with a Pedersen Device installed.

nitestalker 06-28-2013 05:23 PM

There were a number of 1903 Spflds. with Pedersen cuts. These rifles had a large slot milled in the left side of the action. This allowed the insertion of a long stick magazine. A Pedersen Devise is extremly rare.:(
These were never manufactured or issued to troops as planned. The German Mauser C96 "Broom" was a much superior weapon. The idea of a small caliber military rifle remained shelved until WWII. In WWII the small pistol caliber M-I Carbine became a legend.:)

chuckusaret 06-28-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

C3shooter; "....................The Thompson was not in production until after WW 1 was over.
Yep, full production was not started until 1921 and the first model was designated the M1921.
Thompsons were still in use by the US, Korean and Vietnamese forces until 1971. Many of the Thompsons along with thousands of American and foreign produced weapons were dumped into the sea as we begain troop withdrawals. Faster and cheaper to dump them rather than ship them home.

nitestalker 06-28-2013 07:00 PM

Cheaper than shipping these arms home? Very doubtful conclusion. The "Tommy" gun was the assault weapon of the "Trans War" period in the U.S. The full autos could be owned shipped in the mail etc.
Criminals did use some mostly stolen from police and National guard. The entire crime wave of the depression was blamed on the Thompson. The Liberal Democrats finally pushed through the taxation bill in 1935 effectively limiting their use. :(

JW357 06-28-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
The Pedersen Device: The WWI super-weapon that (almost) won the war

I haven't seen anything about this before here and I happened across the article and thought y'all might like it.

Read about the Peterson Device here.

Making an 03 into a completely different rifle had to be pretty wild at the time. I've never seen one of these devices in the real world. I'd love to check it out though.

Very interesting. I only read a little bit of it, basically until I understood what it is. When I get home I'm gonna finish reading it. Still, very cool.